Wetsand and buff problems

JonBoy

Hi I am having some serious problems wet sanding and buffing. I have only been painting about two months now. My boss like to start the process with 1500 on an orbital, dunking it in a bucket of water and start sanding. Then move to 3000 then on to buffing. He like to use a 3m compound that is a chemical cut not a grit cut. Then machine polish. My problem is that if I don't dunk the sander literaly every ten seconds and wipe the suface constently I end up with little swirled scrates all over witch the compound doesn't get out. So as you can imagine this ends up taking forever then he get on me about how long It takes and not to mention time is money. I'm out off ideas on how to make the process faster and not end up with the scratches. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

yamabob

I hope you're not dunking an electric sander in the water bucket! Depending on how much color sanding you do,your boss may want to invest in a water fed wet sander. I just finished color sanding a body kit today. I do it by hand and let the paper do the work. I pre-soak to soften and add a little dish soap to help lube the paper. I only wipe i one direction.
Try keeping a spray bottle mixed with soapy water and squirting. Sounds like the paper is loading up. The clear will soften from friction and be more suseptible to scratches which may need to be sanded out by hand. What 3M are you using

HARIJANS

Yes I agree with yamabob, wet sanding by hand or with an aid of a rubber bar plus spraying it with deluted soap will make it much easier. I often use the rubber bar to wipe the sanded area to see if its well sanded or not.