Weird project that could use some advice/guidance

Linolizard

I have an all black motorcycle. I had an artist paint a "Day of The Dead" theme on it that pretty much covered all the panels. The paint was all white (several intensities) with a few small accents of red. When the white paint was on the sanded parts it looked great. BUT, once the parts were all clear coated the contrast was too sharp and the white ended up being too "in your face" for my liking.
So, my question is this: can a colorized clear coat or translucent type of paint be put over the whole thing that would sort of "cloud" the contrast. Would there be a way to dull the whole thing down to end up with something like a ghost effect?

I have tons of complements on the bike. The quality of the paint is amazing. But still, I would like it to be a bit more subtle.

Appreciate any ideas/advice.

Thanks to all. Stay safe

forum pic.jpg

chopolds

If there is enough clear on the parts, and there certainly SHOULD be, you can scuff the paint, and shoot a transparent, or 'Candy' paint over it, to push the artwork into the background. Candy comes in all colors, and even black. Also Corp. makes a nice transparent black, IIRC. The more coats/material you shoot on the parts, the darker it will become, until it's completely hidden. The only hitch to this process, is that you MUST put each coat on perfectly even. Or else you'll get tiger stripes, and blotches.

Linolizard

I appreciate your time.
Your suggestion makes perfect sense to me. From what you saw in the pic would your choice be black candy?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Good suggestion from ChopOlds. I'm sure he meant "Alsa".
Since you liked it before clear, you could always add a clearcoat with flattening agent to dull down everything. You'll want a matte or eggshell finish to accomplish this
OR
You can prep the parts (600, wetsand with 1000 grit), and spray a coat of metallic over the complete part. Then spray a candy of your choice over the complete part. The result... if you used a candy red, you'd end up with a black base out of the sun, a black cherry in the sun with bright red artwork.
OR
Spray a candy black (basically a clear with very little black in it) like ChopOlds mentioned.

It would be pretty cool to add the coat of metallic, spray candy red, and go ahead and add clearcoat with flattening agent to give it a matte finish.

Though these jobs I've done do not have white' graphics as the base, they have a silver base (coated with candy) except the orange that which is just an orange pearl.
All have regular clear with the flattening agent. As you can see they all tend to make you look away from the black and make the graphics pop (which is probably why you liked the job before it was clearcoated...it made the graphics stand out more)

Just an idea for you...of course if you want 'gloss' coating the parts with a transparent black or a candy color would tone it down a bit with clear over them.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 7

Linolizard

I have to admit that I have not been a fan of flat paint. It always struck me as bland. But wow, your work has changed that. Amazing color and it really pops. Great work!
And thanks for the suggestions....I have a lot to think about now.