Want to add painted pinstripes, and paint my Bug Deflector

mtpaint

I was in the auto body trade some 30 yrs ago, familiar with using the old style acrylic laquers and candies, clear coat, etc. Not at all familiar with whats being applied to the newer vehicles and what I can safely do to my truck. This is what I want to do, and I would be appreciative of any advice. I have a plain white 2003 Chevy Z71 Ext Cab truck. I would like to add two 1/16 Pearl White pinstripes down the side, paint the bug deflector, the gold plastic chevy emplane in the grill, and the gold painted inserts in my aluminum wheels. Any advice on prep of these surfaces , and also I want to detail the outside after adding the pinstripes so I assume the pinstripes would have to be clear coated so that I dint buff off the pearl. Thanks Mike.:sillyme:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on buffing your truck a lot, and you feel you are going to buff the stripes off, I really don't see any other way of doing it besides prepping all panels that you are applying the stripes, then paint the stripes on, then reclearing the panels.
You can prep those panels by using some 1000 grit wet. That is a LOT of work to simply add some white pearl pinstripes over white.

You can sand the bug deflector with 320 dry. Spray some adhesion promoter, sealer, then paint it.
You can also sand the wheels and the emblem using the same grit. Sounds like these will also be going

The above is assuming that all are in perfect condition. If not, then of course, you'll need to take care of the areas that have flaws first.

JT Airbrush

I'm a pinstriper and I would use a urethane pinstriping paint and add hardener to it so there should not be any need to clear coat over it. Just clean the surface really well with wax and grease remover and some glass cleaner, then stripe it. For the other items, I agree with Taz, scuff, prep well, paint and clear coat.