Vinyl Cutter/Plotter

Jim

Since I can't draw,I just ordered a 24in vinyl cutter,I have no idea what software to use yet,(it comes with LXI apprentice software)I just got 50,000 vector clip art to start with.Does anyone have any suggestions as what else I should get?I got it for stencils, lettering etc.,they sell a sheet mask for painting,I can cut for flames and graphics etc.that looks pretty cool.I know it's kinda cheating but,I don't want to turn down a job because of my lack of artistic ablity.Thanks,jim

A

alienboy

a cutter is nice for certain things, but remember that when you are working on a curved tank and fenders it gets very difficult to work with.

K

kevsLX

Jim, I do vinyl as my 9-5 job.
We use software called Signlab to cut from, but it's about $2000.
I think there are some others that will let you cut from CorelDraw.
Check the messageboard for vinyl at www.signweb.com (hope it's OK to post up that link)

The stencil mask is nice, but like alienboy says it doesn't stretch and conform as good as a regular vinyl so it can be a pain on tanks if you're doing big areas.

Bornhard

Hey Jim I use LXI software for my plotter. I'm sort of familiar with it, but since I've been using Corel Draw since '97 I do all my design work in it. I design something and then "copy/paste" it into LXI program. Sign Lab is an ok program, but to me the combination of Corel and the LXI that comes with the plotter works great for me.

If you're looking for clip art/design CD's double check to make sure the images are "vectored art", or there are paths, so the plotter knows where to cut.

Plotters are NOT cheating, they are simple a tool needed in an arsenal that will get the job done. Just use with caution and don't abuse it by poka-dotting a whole Harley 'cause you now can with the aid of a plotter!

Have fun & good luck. Signwarehouse.com has some graphic CD's. If I think of other companys or CD titles I'll post some links.

K

kevsLX

Signlab does kind of suck for drawing, I usually do all my design work in Illustrator then export to SignLab for cutting.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies!I didn't realize so many of you used plotters/cutters,Sounds like I'll give corel draw a shot along with the software I'm getting(LXI).When doin bike tanks or anything rounded,are you saying regular vinyl is better for stencils?Does it come off easily or do i have to worry about freshly painted surfaces.I just thought the stencil material would be a little less sticky.thanks guys!Jim P.S. I wondered what "vectored" meant.

K

kevsLX

Jim I wouldn't use regular vinyls for stencils, they would be too difficult to remove and I don't know if the adhesive on them will hold up to the solvents.
You can get the stencil material down, it'll just take some practice.

Bornhard

Avery & Gerber both make paint mask that's made for cutting on a plotter, able to hold up with solvent paints and easy to apply and remove. You can buy it by a roll in different widths, or buy it in 10 yard sections from some suppliers.

I tend to make a design and then trim tightly around my design and apply it to the surface area. Then come back with 1" - 2" tape to mask off the remaining space. That paint mask isn't real flexable 'cause if it was it would distort your design.

Jim

Great guys!Thanks.Any other uses for this thing?maybe I could put the wife to work on it too....or not.

K

kevsLX

[ QUOTE ]
Great guys!Thanks.Any other uses for this thing?maybe I could put the wife to work on it too....or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you can make graphics for the kids with the import cars, they love vinyl, each sticker is worth 5 horsepower to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

But seriously, you can do all kinds of stuff with the plotter. Letter up some work trucks, make signs, windsheild banners for car clubs etc.

Jim

Bornhard,I got Coreldraw-8, and the LXI software.When I try to bring an image into either in eps format,it doesn't reconize it.I have to change the format then bring it in coreltrace,trace it and it still doesn't trace everyhing, like the lettering on the HD logo,only the outline,then I inverted it and got the lettering but not the complete bar and shield.How do I cut vectorized images that I have on cd or in the computer?thanks,Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbutt.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smashpc.gif

Bornhard

hmmmmm....ok lets see if I can answer this w/o writing a book.

first off, can you open or IMPORT the images on the CD directly in the LXI program? try it

next is how I go about it. open your image or design your deal in Corel and then simply CTRL C (copy command) on your keyboard. Then switch over to your LXI program and then hold down the CTRL key and type V (paste command). That should make a dashed box appear and when you click on your work area the image should appear.

One thing to note. Don't leave outlines around your objects when you send them to cut (unless that's your desire effect). Most cutting software will make a cut on both sides of the outline no matter how thin it is.

Lets see where this info gets you & post again if you need more assistance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

Jim

Ok,I can't import directly to LXI,There is no import choice only export.I can however bring it up in coreldraw and ctrl c like you said.It still needs work but,at least it's coming in to LXI now.thanks a bunch,Now ,how can I cut the lettering and the bar and shield on the hd logo for example?I know explaining software is a pain so,i really do appreciate your time.Once I get past the basics,I'll take the time to learn it.I have to get a corelDraw for dumbasses book,jim

Burnt

I have LXi Apprentice and it has an import choice. What level of LXi do you have? I have AutoCad 2000 and LXi will accept .DXF files and .DWG files. With Apprentice you don't get alot of choices. I wish I had spent alittle more and went to Expert or Master.

Jim

Ya,I have Apprentice also but only export is highlighted,not import. Expert is $500 more at $995 and still doesn't have all the options.I've been reading some of the forums and it looks like cocut is a pretty widely used program,I seen it for $400 but,I'm gonna look on ebay.It lets you cut from corelDraw(i have coreldraw 8) but I don't know if you still use the LXI software or not.I don't wanna get fancy,just be able to cut stencils and graphics.Jim

Burnt

I don't know where you got your cutter but I got mine through Signwarehouse.com and to upgrade to Expert is $300. I have Coreldraw 11 and haven't used it long enough to know what I'm doing yet but if I figure anything out I will let you know..

Jim

Yep,same place.I didn't ask about upgrading,I just saw saw thier listed price of $995.I'm getting it figured out a little.You have to "ungroup" then,you can pick it apart and cut what you want.I just need more time to mess with it,that Ctrl c that bornhard mentioned,helps quite abit.Another couple of weeks of playing and I should be ok.....I guess.Jim
P.S there's a 24in newer panther w/extras (including LXI master plus with the key) on ebay for 1300 right now.Hmmmm.

Jim

Hey Guys,I lost all my bookmarks,I had a site called Best brands of the world,It was a site you could download in .eps any company logo for cutting,anybody know what I'm talking about?I've looked all over the web and can't find it,jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif