Vintage caravan has textured paint finish, how do I recreate this?

deansplit

Can anyone tell me what this effect is called and how it's created? It's in the primer as I sanded a bit to see. It's a 1961 Westfalia steel caravan which needs a complete respray and welding and felling in places so I need to get it all back flat then recreate the mottled effect before top coat. Closest I can think of is stone chip like under wheel arches but it's not quite the same.ThanksIMG_9862.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
It looks to me like tintable bedliner.
I've used "Raptor" and it appears like that. You'll just have to tint the color to match.

deansplit

Thanks Taz - yeah that looks perfect, watched a video, so the top coat gets mixed in so no need for a separate top coat? It'll be a total respray so matching not critical. So is it the same as anti-gravel paint/stone chip? Expensive stuff, know any good sources to buy it from?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, take a sample in to your local auto body shop supplier of the color, and have some enamel mixed up. Then mix it with the Raptor liner. They leave you enough room to add the enamel so you can't screw up the mix.

You'll need a special gun. Some of the kits come with the gun

No, this is not like gravel guard, this is bed liner which is thicker and coarser, you can control for the most part on how rough it gets though.

You can purchase it here

Quantity really depends on how large of an area you need to do.

Be sure and buy the tintable liner, not the black.