urethane reducers, clean up, inexpensive options, color blender for carrying flake

gtc73

Morning painters!
So I am ramping up for this winters paint project for a customer who wants marble affects on a black base, then black cherry candy over that. This guy is a fiber glass expert and will also be adding his own 3D flames to his tank, which I will be doing a black base/old school heavy silver metal flake with the black cherry candy over that.

- Couple of questions
1. what are some inexpensive alternatives for cleanup? I don't want to waste my medium reducer for cleaning up the gun and other tools during the project.

2. for carrying the flake, I am not going to use my expensive clear, but rather use a color blender. I'm going to assume not all color blenders perform the same, but would like some of your thoughts on brands for color blender to use. Just fyi, I used PPG DBC500 color blender which we all know is top shelf stuff. I bought a qrt (forget what I paid) but I use it for smaller projects to project art work before moving on. In this case I would be using a significant amount to carry and burry the flake.

thanks guys!, not sure if I shared last years paint project....here's how it come out....I used Deep tripple black base, brilliant silver metalic for the flame work, and candy apple red, all Custom Shop paints and love the results.
IMG_4964.jpg

Wydir

1. Gunwash for cleanup 2. You can only use so much the DBC500 will not cover the flake the final clear will do this. If you use a PPG clear use one of the DCU2000 series or even Hok clear to finish (HoK is a lot cheaper than PPG) but works much better in this application.

gtc73

Thanks, lookin around for the gunwash ....I see lots ok UK listings.....am I not looking hard enough?

How bout good old lacquer thinner at 15$ a gal. at home depot?

bondofreak

Laquer thinner is fine I always use automotive grade from my local supplier. I pay 30-35 bucks for 5 gal.

Last edited:

kikivansteen

Wash solvents....which are low grade laquer thinners are the best for clean-up....Matrix makes a color blender which is identical to DBC 500....just cheaper....it is MPB 500....have used it for many years as a carrier for candy dyes....heavy flakes...pearls and layered translucent colors. You will use much less material when using a color blender...or some call it clear basecoat....and no blender will ever hide a large flake....that's not it's job....it's job is to create a wet area to do a blend....an intercoat clear to protect your work....a re-wetting agent when your base has sat over 24 hours....many years ago we did all these things with top-coat clear....led to a lot of failures and millage issues...today we use blender.

bondofreak

laquer thinner works but not as strong as the gunwash acetone is really a strong cleaner also

My gun cleaner/laquer thinner has acetone and tolulene among other stuff. I don't know what that means but it cleans my guns fine. just saying....

bondofreak

Don't over think it Don. I am no chemist but my gun cleaner/laquer thinner has several different chemicals on the label and has worked perfect for yrs. No biggie. I do have one question for you BTW. How long is the DBC you sell supposed to stay good on the shelf if it has never been opened? Just wondering.

Wydir

According to PPG it has no shelf life as long as its sealed it should be good but once air gets to it who knows. You still got that tricoat left?

bondofreak

Yeah I opened it last week and it was nearly dry. I threw some reducer in it and it seems to look ok now. I have never seen that happen with any other base. But that is the first time I have seen plastic cans. I don't know why the plastic would not seal any different. I prob have 50 different can of base on the shelf and this is a first that I have had this happen. Opened the other can to check and it looked perfect.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I also just use a cheaper wash thinner. I buy it by the 55 gallon drum.

For carrying flakes, I use either SG-100 (House of Kolor) or an off brand, but I forget the part number.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good tip. I assume you do this for your 'base' gun and not a 'clear' gun?

bondofreak

Funny Taz..... Or I took it wrong...

I go through Daphne on the way to the beach some times. CIAO.

Nice avatar too BTW!