Unique system needs for a newbie.. Please help!

Surface Dr

Hi Guys, Great site you have here. I am obviously new here, do I will do a brief intro.. My name is Tom and I own a business maned Surface Dr. I do Stone restoration, Stainless steel repair, Wood Repair, and some industrial garage floor coatings.
I have a killer air brush set up for my smaller wood jobs. I do have a accuspray turbine system that I used to use for recoating tubs. Truth be told, I have never liked the thing with the turbine I have. This could be user error. I probably know a little more than enough to be dangerous. I am a quality tool junkie. I am mobile and do jobs on site at all times. I am looking for a killer HVLP turbine system that allows me the options of using a pot or external cup. I will be spraying everything from laquers, and water based multispec ("granite look" material) to alaphatic acrylics (mostly for garage floors). I have about a $1500 to $2000 budget. I am probably looking for the one gun and turbine system that will do it all and spray anything I want with the proper tips and caps. I am considering the Apollo 7500C Series HVLP Spray Gun with their Apollo Model 1050VR HVLP Turbine SystemAdvanced Machinery - Model 1050VR Five Stage Turbine System. They claim that it will do it all.

Are there any other systems or setups that you pros would recommend.
Do I need to spend this much to get a great set up?
Is this a great set up for what I am wanting?
Has anybody had any experience with these or heard about them?
I live in the mountains at 8000ft above sea level. low humidity.. Great spraying conditions..I think.
I need very low overspray.
Thanks in advance.
PS... I did take the time to read through about 7 pages in this section to see if I could find the answer to my question. sorry if I may have missed it.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I wish I could help you, but know absolutely nothing about turbine systems. I've been painting for 25 or so years, and have always used the standard type compressors and have worked and bodyshops that also use the standard type compressors. Most likely our members are on the same boat.
Not for sure where I could send you that would help you out. That model does look like it would be great for a mobile painter. From what I saw, that is the best price, and does appear to be one of the better turbines.
Good luck to you

Surface Dr

Thanks for the welcome Taz. Also thanks for the opinion. I was just hoping that there might be a couple of turbine guys here that may be able to help out. There is still a ton of stuff that I can learn from you guys. Like I said, I know a little more then enough to be dangerous. Where on the forum would be a good place to learn a little more than the basics. What I am speaking of is more the terminology so I have an idea of the different chemicals and what they will do for the painter, problems they will solve....
Once again, thank you for everything. If anybody on here has any natural stone, stainless, wood, grout and tile questions, please feel free to ask away. If I don't have the answer, my other stoner geek forum friends most probably will.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You may find some info in the General Auto/Motorcycle painting section. This has a lot of general 'painting' and prep questions/answers.
You may also want to check out the tips section.

Is there any chemical in particular you are looking for some info on?

Kenjifujima

Hey there,this is Kenjifujima,glad to join this forum and glad to meet you here,I look forward to getting some inspiration and getting to know all of you.

fontgeek

To be honest, I'd take a real serious look at leasing a CO2 tank or two, you could run any of your sprayers off of it, big or small, HVLP, airbrush, you name it. No noise, no having to plug it in, no heat or maintenance issues, and it makes going mobile a dream.
The bigger tanks, like those a full sized welding setup would use are loaded with thousands of pounds/PSI of pressure so you can run any tools, sprayers, etc. off of them, and they are easily refilled or exchanged to keep you going. I'd get at least two at a time, this lets you work off of one and then switch to the full one when you need to, then trade out the empty one for a full one between jobs.
You can lease the tanks from welding supply/gas supply business's and the cost of the refills is or was about $25USD. Leasing them lets you return them while only paying for the gas itself and it lets someone else be responsible for keeping the bottle up to code.