True White ice pearl Ghost flames under apple red kandy...

timber0472

Ok, I heres the deal. I finally got my tank and fenders based (hok solar gold) and sealed (sg100 intercoat). Now im laying out the flame design. Are these the correct steps?

1. tape out flames
  2. cover all surrounding areas with tape to protect from overspray
  3. 2 light coats of HOK White ice pearl where flames are outlined
  4. peel off all tape after it drys for about 30 minutes
  5. Kandy all with apple red kandy (uk11)
  6. Clear all with uc35
  7. wet sand and buff (1500-2000)
How do you get rid of the tape outline "edge" after kandied? Some one suggested that i wet sand after clear, but its not an edge that you feel, rather that you see. Is this normal. I shot a test panel, but this shyt is ex$pensive. Really would rather ask first. Also is White ice gonna do it under the apple red or should i shoot a different color for a true ghost?

Thanks all!

LoneStarBrand

Ok, I heres the deal. I finally got my tank and fenders based (hok solar gold) and sealed (sg100 intercoat). Now im laying out the flame design. Are these the correct steps?

1. tape out flames
  2. cover all surrounding areas with tape to protect from overspray
  3. 2 light coats of HOK White ice pearl where flames are outlined
  4. peel off all tape after it drys for about 30 minutes
  5. Kandy all with apple red kandy (uk11)
  6. Clear all with uc35
  7. wet sand and buff (1500-2000)
How do you get rid of the tape outline "edge" after kandied? Some one suggested that i wet sand after clear, but its not an edge that you feel, rather that you see. Is this normal. I shot a test panel, but this shyt is ex$pensive. Really would rather ask first. Also is White ice gonna do it under the apple red or should i shoot a different color for a true ghost?

Thanks all!

you could have skipped the intercoat... thats just me. Ice is real suttle when topped with kandy as it being translucent. To me White Ice is basically white micro flake, your flames would basically sparkle more in that given masked area... Liquid white pearl lightly dusted give it a glow and true ghost, since pearl responds to light it will jump out. Spray a test panel...

The times i have used intercoat, the taped lifted it. suggest low tack 3m green.tan colored one vs the New and improved tacky Blue.

As per tape lines Feather the edges lightly then candy. Base is protected use some 1000 stay away from the tips. Rub out what ever is left after clear...

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Everything is correct if you are going for some very subtle ghost flames.
Be sure and spray the candy on the test panel just to make sure you get the subtle look you are after.

As far as the edge, you are probably spraying too much Ice Pearl. If you spray correctly and you are spraying just enough to get the solar gold covered, it should not leave an edge.