Trouble making fine lines/details,IwataHPCS

T

Torquewrench

Finally got my Iwata HP-CS out & played some. I had no problem making nice fades that will work perfect for fading flames. But the trouble I had was trying to make fine lines. I took the front cap off and was able to get some nice lines about 1/32 wide occasionally, but not consistantly. My biggest problem was the way the gun could suddenly release too much ink/paint when I was trying to get started every now and then.

I'd like to get a good technique for this so I could make "shine" highlights on dark colors or "glare stars" on the edges. The best I could do was a few small stars that had rays with fat ends. Do guys use templates to make the sharp rays on these stars, or am I missing something?

I noticed that I couldn't do small stuff with the button fully pushed down with full air flow and regulating paint. I could only do it by barely letting air through the gun and barely letting paint through also. But if I let too much air or too much paint it would tend to flood the panel, make a sunburst and would ruin the effect I was trying for.
crap.gif

Do I need a smaller gun for this much detail? I'd be PO'ed if I worked a whole panel and then blasted a 1/2" sunburst when I didn't want it.

I was doing this practice with India ink on a glossy poster board. Maybe, automotive eurethanes wouldn't run as easily.

K

kustom paint workz

I think the ink may have been your problem. I would definitely pick up some auto paints and give them a try. Start with basic colors like black and white. If you can spray white clearly, then you can spray almost any color. The only other thing i can say is keep practicing. I takes alot of time and frustration.

T

Torquewrench

Thanks for the reply. I picked up some Creatix paints, yellow-orange and red of course. I'll give them a shot and see if there's a difference. Time to buy a black mailbox I think.

T

TWISTED

You can also try lowering your air pressure a bit. And always start with just air and slowly release the paint for the effect you are trying.

G

gc

Check and make sure the inside of the tip is clean. There could be a small "chunk" of paint preventing the tip from fully seating. If all is clean check for cracks in the tip.

India ink is very thin compared to automotive based paints. A small crack in the tip will allow the ink to leak out onto the end of the needle forming a small droplet which will "explode" upon impact creating an ugly starbrust design.

Once the tip and needle has passed inspection, make sure the needle is fully seated in the tip. Do not force it because the tips are a bit on the fragile side.

During the times when a really thin paint is required and you run into this problem with a good clean tip and needle, hit "full air" (point away from your work) to purge the tip of any build up before attempting to shoot any paint.

As for air pressure, on a hard surface you needed go much over 30-35 psi for lines. Start low and increase until you obtain what you are looking for. Better too little than too much.

Always try to practice on media consistant with what you are going to paint. Even though poster board has an apparent smooth side it is still very porous and will accept the paint in a more "freindly" manner.

Hope some of this helps!