Tri stage pearl and ghost flames on a gsxr 750

bridger1001

I am painting my '02 gsx-r 750 with a tri stage diamond white pearl (Omni). I want ghost flames that have a blue color/effect. Here's what I have to work with:

1 qt. white base
1 qt. pearl mid-coat
2 qts. clear
Blue pearl powder

My question is this: What is the best way to get a ghost type effect using the blue pearl powder? There are so many different ways to do this, I just don't wanna mess it up. Is the blue pearl powder idea going to work or should I get something else? I have never done ghost flames before so any help is greatly appreciated!

chopolds

Depends on what kind of blue pearl powder you have. There are different kinds of pearls. One is a pearl flake that is a color. If you shoot it over a white base, you get a blue pearl color. another is called an interference, or flip flop pearl. This pearl looks clear, but when the light hits it, it 'flips' to a color. There are also 2 color flip flop pearls.
If you want true ghost pearls, you need the interference pearl. Shoot your white base, tape the flames, and then shoot the pearl powder mixed with your mid coat clear. Then unmask and final clear.
Now, it is VERY important to mix your pearl and clear to the right ratio, and be careful to put on the right amount of coats, at the right distance to get the ghost effect. When you are painting it, you really can't see the effect until it's final cleared.
So....do some test panels first to dial in your mix ratio and coats to get the effect you want. Try a let down panel, where you shoot a series of coats over your base, from 1 coat to maybe 4-6. Final clear it and see what number of coats works for you.
Too little pearl over the base, and you won't see it. Too much and you'll see it all the time. Way too much and it gets milky or muddy looking. Light colors need more pearl than dark ones, for the same effect.

Wydir

if it were me I would spray the base and midcoats as normal then I would mask out my flames and mix a small amount of blue pearl into the pearl midcoat then spray one light coat then un mask and clear as normal no need to put the pearl in the clear. of course you would have to do a test panel to figure out how much blue pearl to add to the midcoat. I try to keep the coats down to keep the hard lines to a minimum.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Wyidir. It does not take a lot of anything to show over a white or white pearl base.
The less you put in, of course the more subtle your flames will be