transferring pictures to clear coat?

• Thread starter ipainttheflames
  • Start date
I

ipainttheflames

ive heard that you can spray clear over a picture from a magazine and then wet the picture and rubit off of the dried clear.i think then you can lay the dry clear onto a coat of wet clear.let it dry and then do your regular clear build up to get rid of the edges.if any one knows how to do this i could use the advice.im trying to put a pinup girl on my sons stratocaster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

T

TAZ

Never tried it...sounds like it would work. I would think a 'decal' would work better since it's thicker.
quite a few on eBay.

Try a test panel with a test pic see what happens. First coat of clear over the pic would have to be very dry I would think so it would not bleed the colors together. If you went with the decal you can go heavier. Be sure and put the decals or magazine pic on without any bubbles or wrinkles.

Don't know if this will help you out any
Good Luck...let us know how it turns out.

A

alienboy

I have seen people do this with those little RC cars with the clear plastic body. This idea will work to a certain point. C\C has a nasty tendancy to cause the ink to bleed. If you have any light colors they will have a nasty yellow tint to them. I tried this once with a bunch of 1 dollar bills on a tank and it was very difficuly, to many edges to bury and not to mention I had no 1 dollar bills to go to the club........uh....bar with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekout.gif

T

tcmustang

My daughters art class at her collage is instructing her on this right now. It works but...it has an artistic look, not a photographic look. She has made several purses with the technique, looks like a 1950's photo, not sure it would look right on a bike.

ebb

I know that I tried it several years ago but that was using lacquer clear and you actually had to soak it in water for a while and then rub the picture very carefully and it would take the picture off with the picture remaining in the clear.

ED

R

Ripp

I don't know anything about this but I was in hobby lobby the other day getting some supplies and they had a kit for making decals for models. The paper size was small about 4 x 8 but it was for computer printers....I just looked it over real quick i'm sure you could improvise with minimal computer skills to make it work for you...Maybe printing the photo in two parts and carefully splicing the decal. Then clear over...Just a thought....I'm interested in hearing and seeing what ya'll come up with this interest me also.

Ripp

B

big stinkie

I bought some 8.5 X 11 waterslide decal sheets (like those for model cars & airplanes) for the color printer. <http://www.beldecal.com> You print 'em off, then spray 'em with a coat of rattle can urethane to seal the ink. Then you cut 'em out, soak 'em and apply. After application and drying time, I used PPG Stratoclear over them. One of several drawbacks is that the colors are very translucent. The color of the paint shows through the ink on the decal. It seems that it only works well on a white surface.

So...I bought some more sheets that are white, not clear like the first batch I bought. Went through the same procedure and found that the white decals sheets are also translucent. I put one over a red tank and the white turned into a very pink color. Not good, unless you want pink on your paint job!

As long as you are putting the decal on a white surface it will work fine. Perhaps a black decal would work over most colors, too. Regardless, your possibilities are limited.

Last, the decals refused to lay flat on even a modestly rounded surface. I put a decal that was roughly 5 inches in diameter onto a motorcycle tank. Kept getting wrinkles no matter how much I cursed at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flame.gif

I haven't used them for any projects other than a few experiements, but I'm sure there will eventually be an instance where I can use them. Within the listed limitations I think they work fine.

Andy