Toughest Clear

Stretch

If I were to paint a helmet for a softball team, what would be the toughest clear I could use. Keep in mind this helmet will probably be sliding all over the ground so I know it won't stay clean, but I want something that'll hold up a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks-Scott

D

DDG

The ones I did I used automotive urethane clear. The same stuff I put on any helmet. Make sure you let them know it will get scuffed no matter what, so they can't come crying back looking for a free fix up.

Dirt

Stretch

Hey Dirt-

Thanks for responding. Do you know how well the helmets you've painted are holding up? Just wondering what happens to such a helmet. Does the clear just get scratched or does it actually scuff off? I'd hate to paint a design and have it start scuffing off after one game.

Thanks-Stretch

O

overspray7

I happen to like PPG Global.Good all purpose stuff and tough.

Bornhard

Imron® is a tough as nail clear coat. it will stay on to where you spary it, but all clear will scuff and mark up. I've sanded Imron® clear with 400 grit paper and barely made any progress. It drys to a very hard finish after 48 and is nearly impossible to buff and polish after that window passes. Nasty crap to spray though....it's a Du Pont product...look on their site for more info.