To late to rebuff?/sand?

kwest187

I finished my tins this weekend and had a few complications along the way-
I got some nasty orange peel in the primer...and apparently didn't sand it down far enough...b/c it followed me through the base, candy and clear-
I did end up covering it pretty good-but didn't realized how much I could wet sand and buff out until later in the day yesterday-
I was able to get a smooth glass like finish on the rear and front fender...but didn't notice I should've sanded and buffed more on the tank...until I had to leave for work-bad lighting indoors I guess-
I'm planning on re-renting the buffer Thursday morning to finish the job-
****S-I didn't realized how much I could sand off- since the Candy was mixed with clear...and I laid on like 3 heavy coats...then at least 2 heavy coats of clear...
So Its going to cost me 20 bucks a day to rent the buffer again-
Should I try to squeeze it in Tuesday night from 7-9...or is it ok wait until Thursday-
****...just wish I would've done the job right the 1st time-live and learn I guess-

The orange peel I'm trying to get rid of is-noticeable in the right light...but not really by touch-
It just gives you a blurry reflection though....which ****s b/c the fenders and the top of the tank turned out so well...its just the sides of the tank---just venting a little now-
Well at least I got my 1st paint job out of the way-

kwest187

had to take off work!!

It was bugging me so badly and since my software at work wasn't cooperating anyway-
I left work early yesterday and re-rented the buffer-
I wet sanded with 2000, until almost all the surface was dull-no more orange peal peaks and valleys
then I buffed with a #8 or so compound cutter, then with a finishing compound and pad-
and boy...what a difference-
All my surfaces feel like glass to the touch and have a mirror finish-
You can still see the peal lurking below the candy and clear...but it almost gives it a blod clot effect, and for the candy color being BlOOD RED...it kind of works-

Lesson learned...never ever lay a base down until 100% sure the prime is smooth of all imperfections or it'll haunt you through to the end-
Seems so obvious now.

T

TAZ

Yea, everything has to be nice and flat before moving to the next step. This makes the overall process much easier...of course as long as you lay out the clear with minimal orange peel.
Probably what you should have done is go ahead and just flatten them out with 1000 grit. And then just reclear them. THEN you could 1500, and 2000 and buff them. You probably had to take off a lot of clear to get them as flat as you did.
Sounds like you got it looking pretty decent though.

mituan

Hey! I have visited the site and very impressed with its design. I think I should try it at least once.