to DIP, or not to DIP, that is the question.

gtc73

Good morning painters!!!!

SO I hope this topic is not considered "taboo" in the painting world. Almost seems too easy to consider doing. WHICH IS WHY I HAD TO TRY IT.

So you probably are all aware of a product called "plasti dip". My son did his Audi A4 wheels back a couple summers ago and I was pretty impressed. And well just because he left me with 2 cans, I thought....HELL, WHY NOT GIVE THIS STUFF A TRY..

So here's before and after on my street glide front wheel. I'll talk about the process after the pics here...
glide wheel before after.jpg

So, about the process.....man it really couldn't be any easier....wash/de-grease and dry thoroughly, that was it. Multiple light coats to get full coverage. Dried with hair drier in-between coats. Where as I am going with a sinister/blacked out look, this really was a simple thing to try. And of course, the good news is "pull off the rubberized coating" later if I don't like it.

let me know your experiences and thoughts on this if you care to. Next will be the chrome forks and highway bar. We'll see where this ends up. Snowing here in Mass. on the first day of spring. So....plenty of garage time left for little projects like this.

g

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you did a good job. I personally haven't used it, but I had a guy rent my spray booth and painted his brand new Tesla. He used a gloss plasti dip, but it came out more like a satin. Also it had quite a bit of texture to it...he also put a run in it.
So I would guess that it's good if you do smaller parts with it to get the hang of it before you move into larger panels or a complete car.
I know this was this guy's first attempt at it.

gtc73

texture for sure, if anyone thinks they're gonna get anything super smooth/glossy out of this I don't think so...it's feels/looks like spraying bedliner !!!!, but a little less texture then that.....it is what it is I suppose. this is one of those "I I'm thinking about changing colors" deals, where you can then go back and pull it off if you don't like it?? had to try it, may even do the wheels on my Nissan pickup truck....maybe the bumpers as well.....HECK ! where to I stop!!! :):);)

gtc73

I am QUICKLY getting impressed by this stuff....this "could" trump my street glide project option; black wheels/black exhaust, black backside of fairing, burnt copper everything else, with a few matte black items, maybe the hd emblems in matte black against the burnt copper tank?? who knows....we'll see.....haha, and what ya don't like....ya just PEEL IT OFF?? why aren't more people doing this??
burnt copper mustang.jpg

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That's the same color the guy painted his Tesla. Original was a candy red type color and changed it to that copper orange color.

The only reason I can think of is I really haven't see a 'gloss' finish. Most people what a gloss. And even some people want a show quality finish. I don't see you getting that with this stuff. Granted it's cool and can be peeled off.
Possibly the people that have been doing it quite a bit may be able to get a better finish though.
I'd like to see one in person that's been applied to a better than factory finish.

It is some neat type of film/paint though

gtc73

theres a ton of DYC (dpi your car) videos on youtube. they've come up with some product enhancement over the years that do in fact get a decent clear/gloss finish....but again, it is what it is right! liquid rubber ........I think the thing that is attractive to me is LESS PREP WORK, LESS CHANCE OF SAGS AND DRIPS, seems like less problems in general using this product. Is it a chicken **** way out? to avoid "painting"..? donno, I guess to each his own right.and well, it would be something different that ya don't see every day.

I was actually a little impressed with this video, cause my first experience was the panel on the left...ie, sprayed my wheels black, but the product sprayed like it was cold, ie....poorly atomized...this video shows how to improve the atomization (from the spray bomb anyway)....for smaller jobs, like highway bars, wheels, lights etc....

so if for nothing else, I will be certainly blacking out certain things on the bike with the spray cans. But I may also invest in a sprayer and consider doing the tins next winter....color to be determined.....possibly a black/kori orange combo.