Thinning Createx Auto Air and Pressue

Stretch

I've been having trouble thinning Createx Auto Air enough to get it to flow smoothly. Seems if I add any water to it, it won't stick or creates a bunch of fisheyes. I've played with the pressure settings from 10psi-50+psi and just don't get good results. The Bear Air catalog says less pressure for thicker paints, more pressure for thinner paints? Is that correct>? I would think the extra viscosity of thicker paitn would call for more pressure? Any recommendations from those that have used it successfully?

TIA-Stretch

D

DDG

In my experience with AA, I found that if you thin too much it will act like it did for you.
Try thinning no more than 25%, at the very most, normally you don't need to thin it.
Try 10% at first then go up from there.
Use distilled water, or 100% isopropyl alcohol.
But again you can't thin it too much.
Now for air pressure I would stick around 30-45#'s. If you're still having problems try getting a larger needle and nozzle.
Using a Thayer&chandler 3000 with a .3mm nozzle it worked out fine. My buddy is using a Badger 155 with a medium tip without any problems also.
Try it and see how it works for you,
Dirt

M

Motornoggin

When I need extra good atomization for doing fades and such, I thin it with alcohol. I use Isopropyl or denatured, no problems with either. Make sure you use the bond-all and catalyst for best adhesion.

Stretch

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the alcohol and see if that helps out at all. What about pressure in general. Does thicker paint normally require more or less air pressure?

Motornoggin, do you do the airbrushing at the t-shirts shop on the corner in Estes?

Thanks-Stretch

T

TWISTED

When I thin my createx paints I use filtered water. I have a whole house water filter because Cleveland has some really hard water.
The water based paints will fisheye for just about any reason. Make sure the surface is 100% clean. Also don't use any oils in your airbrush.
If you are having trouble with clogging try using it without the additives. Or thin your additives before you put them in. That works for me most of the time. You can still put clear over it without the additives in it, you just have to make sure to set the paint with a blow dryer. It might **** off your old lady but it's for a good cause. You can use a heat gun but you have to be careful not to get it too hot.

Stretch

I've been trying to really clean the surface and tried the bond all and catalyst. I've had the same problem with the AutoAir paint as well as with some Parma model paint that I've sprayed on some R/C car bodes. Maybe the water here in Denver isn't good for airbrushing. The alcohol as thinner should really help out. I've been cleaning my brushes routinely so that shouldn't be a problem but I may need to get seperate guns for water-based and urethane paints.

Thanks again-Stretch

T

TWISTED

Having two sets of airbrushes is good if you have the money. If not just make sure you clean out the guns real good when going from one medium to the other. Most important is not to use any oils to lube your airbrush. Whatever you put in your airbrush will mix with the paints going through it. I have used some stuff from Iwata to keep mine lubed without any problems.

M

Motornoggin

Originally posted by Stretch:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the alcohol and see if that helps out at all. What about pressure in general. Does thicker paint normally require more or less air pressure?

Motornoggin, do you do the airbrushing at the t-shirts shop on the corner in Estes?

Thanks-Stretch
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, I'm not a t-shirt artist, I just play one in my garage! LOL! I own one of the sign shops (Dimension Graphics) in town with my brother. I also have a real job, so he does the sign stuff now, I just play around with it.

socajun

i'm glad i join this site. i do taxidermy and i'm pretty good at doing all types of fish. i airbrush but some friends want me to start doing flames and things like that on cars,bikes (HD'S) i've done hemets. but i learn things here without asking from people that go out of their way to help others. CLASS ACTS !...cajun