Thining paint for airbrushing?

F

flames101

hello,
bigokay.gif

i am new to airbrushing and i would like to know what is the best paint for auto and how thin should it be. some one was saying that the 1 shot paint is the best but i not sure what to use.

good_bye.gif

D

DDG

It depends on the type of paint you are using.
The One Shot you mentioned is a lettering enamel to be used on top of the clear coat.
If using auto urethane simply double the reducer in it. House of Kolor works the best for airbrushing since the pigments are finer for easier spraying. The reduction for this would be 1:1. PPG and DuPont is something like !pt paint to 3pt reducer. But the down side to using auto paint is they do need to be clear coated, were as One Shot doesn't. The reduction for 1shot is up to 50%.
Good luck,
Dirt

DaveK

Please...... never spray One Shot through an airbrush. It contains lead and is not meant to be atomized and that can be a real health issue.

As far as reducing goes, I reduce until I can spray for about a minute with out cleaning my tip. Usually the 1:1 ratio is not enough unless its fairly cool out. When I use white, which is known to spit, Its reduced around 5 or 10 to 1. I know of people that even reduce 25:1.

Dave

DaveK

Don't know about HOK striping paint. I took a class near you Hyme in Beaufort, SC. Its called Bootcamp and taught by a guy named Scooter who has been painting for over 30 years. I had ask him the same question about One Shot. I'll never forget the look he gave me and what he said. The msds should be posted somewhere for HOK and should break down whats in it. Although I find them incredibly boring to read.

Dave