tanks and sheet metal that are metal

G

guest01

OK here is the deal, got sheet metal for the bike and am welding in aircraft style gas lids and will next be prepping for paint. What should I do with the metal as it is stripped and bare metal? DO I use any type of body filler? if so, what kind?, then I sand by hand till most of the filler is gone and then go from there onto primer stage.
What are some of the tricks to avoid pulling out the rest of the little hair I have left?

Also after welding, do I grind down to even point before using body filler or do I just leave the weld there and let the filler build up around or is it better to get as flat as possible first?

I am a bit new to this and would appreciate anyone out there willling to lend me a hand.
thanks Mike

B

Big Chicken

The less mud the better. Gas tanks go through a lot of temp changes. Grind the welds. Internally seal the tank as well. Gas fumes will lift paint.

rex

This is a little late but.I haven't welded in a bung yet but be careful with welding and grinding.If the bung has a flange cut the hole smaller so the flange lays on top of the tank so you can grind the weld and smooth out the bevel with bondo.It's easy to warp while welding,and grinding a weld flush on a butt weld can be a prob if it's porous from a bad weld.For bondo go to a paint supply and get their mid line or better.The cheap stuff works but it's usually nastier to work with.I like to epoxy my steel before any bodywork and refinishing.

S

shaunboy

I WOULD GRIND WELD AS FLAT TO THE SURROUNDING AREA AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE TO MUCH PLASTIC BODY FILLER CAN CRACK.
ALSO CLEAN STEEL MAJORLY THOUROUGHLY WITH SOLVENT WIPE DEGREASER AND EPOXY ETCH PRIME LIKE REX SAID BEFORE ANY BODY AND PAINT WORK.