Suction Feed Cleaning Spray gun

rcman989

So I am trying to set up a system where I can spray DC-99 (its a cleaner for steel) from a 55 gallon drum onto the steel. I would like to use a spray gun, but am having trouble trying to get the correct nozzles and needles to spray a thick coat of DC-99. I currently have a DeVilBiss JGA-502 gun to experiment with. The nozzle and needle combination tip orifice is .042 (1.1 mm). I would basically like to get more volume of spray out of the gun and less atomization. I would like to know what I can do to help this to happen because right now it atomizes the DC-99 way too much.

Thank-you

flashtimes

DC-99 is designed as a "Dip Tank" cleaner, and therefor will NOT be cooperative when you try to spray it with a JGA-502; no matter what nozzle you try to use. DC-99 is NOT designed to be atomized, and that is all the JGA is designed to do; atomize paint. But DC-99 isn't paint, and there lies your problem.

I think you might have a much better chance at using a pump sprayer, like you would use to spray weed-killer around your yard. You could probably go to a local Harbor Freight Tools and get a pump/sprayer combination to attach to a drum. If that doesn't make much sense to you...try turning the air pressure at the gun, WAY down. That will reduce the amount of atomization, but also slow the project down too.

Best of luck!
Flashtimes

rcman989

Ok, That is what I was looking into. If the gun will basically just atomize it too much in order to have a thick coat applied. We are currently using the pump sprayers in our facilities and they tend to break a lot so I was told to look into alternative ways to apply the DC-99. I am gonna look into a pump/ sprayer combination now.

Thanks for the Help Flashtimes!

fontgeek

You might also look at an airless sprayer for doing this.
You should also do some heavy research to see what is needed for protecting you and your environment from this cleaner. It wasn't meant to be sprayed, but even using an airless sprayer or a "Hudson" style pump sprayer will cause some of the material to atomize when it's sprayed. The exposure to your skin, your sinuses, lungs, etc., may be damaging or even lethal. Homework is cheaper than doctors bills or a funeral.