stripping

S

Sioux

When using a pinstripping tool ,and want to strip over urethane paint , does the only way to do that go with one shot ? because I read when using one shot you always have to first clearcoat the painting and then pinstrip?
Are there any other methodes or different paint ? because I uselly let the proffesional do the final clear and I cant let him do clear 2 times it just cost to much ...

rex

Another option is to use your basecoat colors for striping but it's best to put a coat of intercoat clear on the work first.That way a mistake can be fixed without ruining the base color.When you're all done scuff it all down with a grey scuffpad and give it to the guy to be cleared.

S

Sioux

Aha thx a lot ! so a tin layer of intercoat will help me if i make a mistake . Can you tell me or give me a url where I can get me a grey scuffpad ? I am sorry but I dont know what that is because I dont know that English word ( sounds stupid I know , but I am Dutch) thx and many greetz , Patrick

rex

Oops,sorry.3M makes makes them and calls them Scotchbrites in a 1/4" thick pad about 5"x 10".I want to say the part # is 7448 but I'm not sure since we have 3 different ones.The red is coarser and works great for scuffing the primer on new parts in all those hard to sand areas,and we also have a white one that contains soap but seems really fine and requires alot of work to get the shine gone.The grey ones are the best though.They scratch pretty coarse if you use them dry so I wetsand with them,usually with a squirt bottle of soapy water and then rinse it off with the water hose.I prefer to do a small area and rinse so the soap and sanding sludge doesn't get a chance to dry on the surface.Go lightly on the intercoat clear though since it's so soft compared to top clear,just a few light passes should scuff it up fine.In that case I probably wouldn't even use soap and just plain water will be fine but you can experiment to find what you prefer.There are other manufacturers of these pads but I think 3M's grey is the best.