Strange Crazing/Scratching Reaction - Lacquer on Lacquer

JayCoh47

Hello all, I had something happen to me a couple hours ago that has never happened before. I am re-painting the front bumper of my 2016 Hyundai Elantra and am planning on using OEM touch up paint (as made by touchupdirect.com). I didn't want to sand all the way (or chemically strip) down to the plastic for fear of marring the plastic, so I thoroughly wet sanded the existing clear with 400 grit, 600 grit, 800 grit.

I then sprayed a layer of Dupli-color Primer Filler (Pic 1), cured for 20 min under IR lamps (plus another 15-20min air dry period)... no problem. I did a very light/brisk wet sand with 800 grit. Looking smooth with no burn through.

I then sprayed a layer of Dupli-color Sandable Filler Primer. Again, cured for 20min under IR lamps + 20min air dry and a brisk/light wet sand with 800 grit and 1000 grit. Looking smooth, no burn through.

I then sprayed a layer of Dupli-color Primer Sealer (pic 3) in preparation for the color coat. Whilst I was misting on the tack coat and watching for any reactions, I see some crazing (at least I think that's what it is) and strange long scratch marks that just appeared out of nowhere! (see Pics 4-7; the last being "color enhanced" to make the defect more pronounced). I stopped spraying and let it sit for a couple of hours, then took the aforementioned pics.

I have sprayed this Dupli-color "3 primer combo" MANY times in the past with no problems at all, let alone this reaction. All three are lacquers, so I have no clue what is going on here. Any thoughts?!?!?

Attachments

• Doc22.jpg
    Doc22.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0