Starting out - air compressor

thomson_adam

looking at getting a air compressor so here are my thoughts ( totally new to this so if i am talking C..P please go easy )

i dont want to spend to much money on a compressor so i am probs only looking at a 25-50ltr tank , would this be big enough ?

my other option is try make my own , as things stand i have a little engine ( 2hp i think ) i can also get an old BBQ gas bottle a friend has told me hes got a pressure switch and a guage so all i would need is a compressor of some sort.

any ideas

thanks

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I wish I could help you out here, but we use a full sized air compressor for our airbrushes. But there are quite a few smaller air compressors you can use for air brushing.
Sometime you can get a deal with a hose and an airbrush. These seem to run about $200.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

If you plan on just airbrushing, absolutely, you don't need a big tank at all.

If you plan on doing, sanding, prming, grinding, along with using a 'spray gun' using the same compressor, be sure and take in consideration the CFM of each tool.

satarunner

Hello, very nice to meet you. The Forum is the first time I touch, I hope to know more friends here, and his own eye-opener. Hope to get your help. Thank you very much! ! ! !

fontgeek

Satarunner, what is it you want to do or your compressor to do?
You need to look at what your needs are in the end, and then use that criteria as a shopping list for building or buying your compressor.
Look at the type of paint you will need to use for your work, that will tell you what equipment you will need to use to spray it, and that equipment will in turn tell you what you need as far as a compressor goes in the way of CFM and pressure requirements goes.
Hope that made sense.
Way too many people go out and buy equipment without knowing what they actually need to do their intended work, they blow lots of money only to find that they bought the wrong thing, often times spending more money than they needed to, and using or damaging the equipment by trying to make it do something it wasn't built for or that it's capable of.
Homework and research is much cheaper than bad purchases and heartache.