starting air brush /hand paint?

A

Annette Sisson

I do a lot of hand painting on shirts walls but need to learn the air brush for bikes due to customer request .Can I do some hand painting on bikes that is where I'm comfortable. but would like to move up to custom bike painting. I have people waiting but I don't want to touch their cars or bikes until I play a little.Help me get started! Thanks Annette

rex

Welcome Annette.I'm no artist so take this lightly.Hand painting is fine and that's what 3/4 of the mural on my scooter is done in,my dumn a$$ can't do it but if Scott or Kevin still have a copy you can see what I mean.A little airbrush skills and you can satisfy them.There's a few bucks in doing it from the start but your big money is in doing your thing over an existing job and either finishing from there or putting a scuff coat of clear over it for someone to finish.

D

DenB.

annette welcome to the site you'll find alot of terrific people here and very willing to assist in any ???'s you might have. as far as painting with hair brush go for it-- if that's what you're comfortable with. mixing it up only set you further apart from anyone else. i was on another site recently and a guy did just that, he did a tiger pattern on a sporster tank and it looked great. hair and air is also a good name for a shop don't ya think?? lol

DaveK

These photos were taken at the Dawgs on Hawgs rally in east TX last spring. This guy has a good following, especially with the Honda folks. He uses HOK striping enamels which can be cleared over. Although, its not needed. I would avoid 1-shot just in case someone descides to clear over your art. It will wrinkle if not done carefully.

DaveK

brush2.JPG

brush3.JPG

T

tcannon

Annette, again welcome! I use both air and hair and couldn't get the same effects using only one method. Air is just like brushing, you need to get good equipment and practice, practice, practice. Best of luck, TC.
bigokay.gif

Bornhard

Welcome Annette! hmmmmm doing both brush work and airbrush work is your best option & for you decide what and which will do the job better. I'm simply gonna give you my formula. If you're gonna do a lot of brush work, I suggest you putting some money into HoK striping paint (buying by the kits is a bit cheaper, but $200 I believe). I airbrush all kinds of things and then go in with the striping paint and do some textures of really fine details. Oh One Shot is not evil. I've used it and from what I heard from the experts is to add a drop of the clear catalyst you're gonna use to keep it from wrinkling. I just perfer HoK stripping paint, because I have a lot of the supporting chemicals & it's a Urathane kit. I also thin it and airbrush with it where I need a small quantity of a certain color. Hope this helps!

rex

Annette,I still haven't figured out how to make a pic show but there's an attatchment up in the blue strip of the post.This is a mural I had done on my scooter and the only thing airbrushed is the body shading,the boots and the backgound clouds,everything else is by brush.The Harley logo is even hand brushed blue 'candy' over a silver base.

Oh,Joe,once again,that's a hot little # there.

Attachments

• 9598-redo3.jpg
    9598-redo3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 39