Sprayed single stage with no hardener. Need quick fix.

Bmagee

Nope. Done this myself last week after 3 days no sleep haha put thinners in a spray bottle, get a cloth. Spray top to bottom, and wipe top to bottom. Rubs off easily

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully whatever you did worked out as a quick fix for you.
I remember doing this before. It SUCKED
I would have suggested filling up the gun with hardener and spray it over the complete paint job. Just a light coat. Just enough to kick it.

flashtimes

When you say "I sprayed single stage black paint without hardener. What's a quick fix?" What do you mean, what's the fix? There is no "fix" for a single stage paint without hardener...that's the way a single stage paint is..."without hardener." If if were a two-stage paint without hardener, that would be a MESS, and STILL...no fix for that either. In this case you need to scrape all of Part A off, clean and re-prep the surface, mix A & B together and re-spray.
Please clarify?
I would have suggested filling up the gun with hardener and spray it over the complete paint job. Just a light coat. Just enough to kick it.
This suggestion is the absolute worst thing you can do. There is NO way to get the resins to mix with the catalyst by spraying then on top of one another!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, just a quick fix or to get you by. This only works if you spray the hardener right after spraying the single stage.
Of course if the single stage is already tacking up after a week or so, this won't work at all.
It's only a get you by. Not correct to do. Also, assuming it's on your own car, truck, motorcycle or whatever.
Customer car, yes, scrape if off, start over.

JCCLARK

Lacquer is single stage and uses no hardener,
Enamel is single stage and can be used with or without a hardener.
Urethane single stage has to use an activator.
Single stage applies to a lot of different types of paint.
Single stage just means you don't have to clear coat it.

flashtimes

Yes, just a quick fix or to get you by. This only works if you spray the hardener right after spraying the single stage.
Of course if the single stage is already tacking up after a week or so, this won't work at all.
It's only a get you by. Not correct to do. Also, assuming it's on your own car, truck, motorcycle or whatever.
Customer car, yes, scrape if off, start over.
There is NO such thing as a "quick fix to get you by." If part A and part B aren't mixed before spraying, you're NEVER going to get them to mix by spraying one part over the top of the other part...NEVER!
Here's my challenge to you. Show me ANY TDS (tech data sheet) from ANY 2K product where it reads that you can spray Part B after spraying Part A...without mixing the two Parts together first! You won't find one anywhere because what you're suggesting does not work! There is NO SUCH THING as "get you by!" It's either correct or not...and what you're suggesting is NOT correct!
WHY in the world would I would I want to spray a 2K product incorrectly on my own car, truck, motorcycle, or whatever? I'd have to be a total idiot to spray an incorrect mix on my own project!
To me this isn't a hobby, I do this for a living for one of the largest paint companies on earth, I'm an AAMP Certified Coating Inspector, and I've been in the business since 1968...on this topic I know of what I speak!