Spray Gun Maintenance

StormTrooper

Hey guys and girls, NEWBIE here with his first post. I got back into spraying (for hobby) not long ago by buying one of those fairly cheep Asian ebay guns which has surprisingly done a great job for me until I started noticing possible needed maintenance issues with it recently. The issues include 1) gun leaks (drips fluids down the trigger not only causing a mess but potentially damaging a spray job), 2) although it's an HVLP the air control valve doesn't seam to want to control air flow like it was before, 3) fluids are sputtering out instead of spraying evenly. I know first reactions are going to be "You Get What You Pay For" or "Get a Real Gun" kind of stuff but this gun was doing a great job until recently. Keep in mind that immediately after each spray job I tear it down and clean it up with reducer or lacquer thinner really well. I'm a little concerned that maybe a little too well being I would think the leaking issue comes from a bad seal of some kind. Maybe the brush I use (which came with the gun) to clean it has damaged a seal or two because I stuck it in the wrong hole (that's what she said, sorry I couldn't resist that ; ) or something. Anyone have any constructive advise? Thanks! :bigokay:

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
Well, not for sure what to say. If you're dead set against buying a quality gun, I guess you really don't have a choice except using that same gun. Possibly just keep buying the cheap guns after each time they start going sour on you. Maybe they sell rebuild kits for them

StormTrooper

Hello,
Well, not for sure what to say. If you're dead set against buying a quality gun, I guess you really don't have a choice except using that same gun. Possibly just keep buying the cheap guns after each time they start going sour on you. Maybe they sell rebuild kits for them

Thanks for the reply. I'm not dead set against buying a better gun but I'm trying to figure out is if there is a rebuild kit or at least some maintenance parts that are readily available for most guns (that I may be able to use for this one) and or if there is any reason in particular mine is going bad in the areas mentioned other than it being a cheep Asian gun. Are these typical maintenance issues for most guns or just the cheep Asian stuff?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the cheaper guns use inferior parts, including metals, so they do not last long at all.
You might have sped up the process by taking it apart and putting it back together so many times.

They ALL wear out, but the cheaper one's don't last long at all.
I rent my booth out and I've seen 2 times where guys will bring in brand new 'cheap' guns and they don't even work right off the bat. So they end up renting one of my guns.

StormTrooper

Most of the cheaper guns use inferior parts, including metals, so they do not last long at all.
You might have sped up the process by taking it apart and putting it back together so many times.

They ALL wear out, but the cheaper one's don't last long at all.
I rent my booth out and I've seen 2 times where guys will bring in brand new 'cheap' guns and they don't even work right off the bat. So they end up renting one of my guns.
Good information thanks.

StormTrooper

In regard to your comment about "taking it apart and putting it back together so many times"; I'd like to clarify exactly what I was referring to when I said I tear t apart etc... After spraying I remove the directional nossil (sp.?), the 1.4 or other fluid nossil (don't know tech. terms for these sorry) behind it, I pull the needle/ spring assembly, of course the can and clean all with solvents and brushes. Is that standard procedure or am I going too far or maybe not far enough with my tear down? What are typical clean up procedures that you follow after use?