spray booth

RandR

i have a old 12 x 14 garage connected on to my 6 bay mechanics shop off to the side but i have dust everywhere in it!!!! concrete floors .. i am wanting to make a spray booth.. i have plastic on all sides.. my question is do you think i need to plastic the roof..and maybe even the floor or maybe a good wet down before i paint, for the floor..and what is the best way to move the air in there also .. i have read some on here about positive pressure.. i have a couple fans but small 18 in shop fans... any info would help..

just starting to paint i have been a mechanic for years and a guy asked me to paint his fenders i painted them out in the shop an turned out perfect if you dont mind all the dust in it :crap: blended it in good an all.. so i need to fix me a good but cheap paint booth... btw if this works well i have a couple mores cars to paint..

tomsteve

pics would help. gotta get it as dust free as possible before anything, which for me would be having a fan or fans at one end and an open window at the other with some furnace filters over them, then break out a leaf blower and an air hose and go at it. blast it good, walk away for 20-30 minutes, come back and do it again( and wear a mask!). keep doin it til there aintmuch left, then wash the place down, preferrably with a pressure washer.
but, pics would really help to give ya better suggestions.

tomsteve

welp, heres what i suggest: take all the plastic down and get it as dust free as possible. compressed air and a leaf blower work great. then a pressure washer and blast every nook and cranny. get some fans goin and dry it out and air it out. then get a 20 by 100' roll of clear/ white plastic. start on the ceiling and close that off, then do the walls. get it stretched out nice because once ya add intake and exhaust air, its gonnna go crazy iffen it isnt stretched out good and secured good. after it's all up, tape off the seams. use good quality tape.
now, for air, theres a lot of ways to do this. you can have inlet air up high on one end wall and exhaust down low on the opposite, with filters on the inlet side. and it wouldnt be a bad idea to look into a LOT of lighting.
thats not a bad lil space for painting, but ya may find out quickly its rather small for anything more than a yugo.
do some google searchin and you can find all kinds of ideas for makin that room into a spray booth. good luck and keep us informed on how it goes!

just to add, if/when ya cut the plastic for the ceiling/walls, cut it for a good overlap.

RandR

yea i blew it out real good before i put the plastic up. i didnt wash it until all plastic was up though ..then i washed the floor good an spayed the ceiling down.. did my first paint job in it today an yes i need plastic on the ceiling an better lighting .. still got a little dust in the paint an im sure its coming from the top because the dust is just on the tops of the fenders and cab top..... and i need to figured me out a door to go in an out better and i need to seal off the top and tighten up the plastic on one side.... even with the ceiling open the plastic goes kinda crazy when i turn my fans on.... i cut a place in the plastic and taped 4 furnace filters on and went to lowes an got 4 20in box fans for the other side.. gonna do some more work to it an ill update with some more photos tomorrow.. thanks for all the input... i need all the painting tips you could spare... i have learned a ton on this site though... A++++++ site