Some advice on a pinstripe color

Arrowhead

Hello, I'm new here and I'm a little out of place, I'm not much of a custom painter. But I'm willing to try anything and I'm looking to paint flames on my current project car. I've painted flames before and it's about the only thing I can do graphics wise, but I'm looking for some advice on the pinstipe color around a two color flame job. Right now I'm planing on a metallic silver w/ candy blue and orange flames. The flames will also have a prismatic flake in them. I shot a test sample and then outlined with a bunch of different colors to see what looks good. I just used whatever I had in my paint cabinet, some of the colors are even tape. I've never pinstriped w/ a brush before, but I'm willing to give it a go, I bought a brush and have been practicing a little. So far I think I have used yellow, aqua, charcoal, red, dark purple and dark grey. I'm open to any suggestions. (The layout is a little rough, it's just something I thew together for a color check)

100_2270.jpg

100_2258.jpg

100_2264.jpg

100_2265.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
My vote is for the black on the tangerine and light blue (Grabber Blue) on the blue flames.

Lime Green also looks great against candy blue.

Flames and colors look great! Keep us posted.

Arrowhead

wow, I thought someone had some input and turns out to be a spammer :(

Anyway, I think I've settled on some colors. I think I'm going w/ the red around the blue. The orange I'm leaning towards the light blue. I tried a dark charcoal color but I'm not sure about that one. The car has a candy blue over metallic silver powdercoated frame and suspension. The wheels have charcoal centers w/ polished rims. I'm planning on painting the body all silver w/ the orange and blue flames.

still looking for any input though.

(the pinstriping job is horrible I know, I was in a rush and it's just for color checking)

100_2307.jpg

100_2314.jpg

This is what I'm working on:

10%20sept%20guptils%20017.jpg

Attachments

• 100_2314.jpg
    100_2314.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the spammer. Pretty hard to avoid these days. Their account has been deleted.
I think the blue flames with the red pinstripe is a great choice. Is that your project?! I see some 'candy blue' so I would say it is....
Very nice if so. I like the wheels. Looks like the Boss 338's. I just put a 'black' set on my truck this week (see my avatar).
Anyway, sounds like it would be a nice choice. Be great if you could airbrush some drop shadows if you do a silver base.

I think just some candy blue flames with red outline would look great.
Still like the lime green outlines though.

30-outside5.jpg

Arrowhead

Thanks for the input. Yes that's my project and those are Boss 338's. They are getting pretty popular, they were kind of new to the scene when I got them two years ago.

Love your truck, had a '61 that was slammed, wish I kept it (I didn't build it, I took it on trade)

threequarter%20side.jpg

I did a two color flame job on my T bucket and I was going to do something siimilar on this car. I like the seaweed over lapping style flames.

I know, the drop shadows would impove the look a lot and I will give it a whirl, but I've never air brushed anything except doing some touchup work.

100_5276.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice on both rides!!!
At least the the T bucket gives me an idea where your heading with the flames you plan on doing. Looks like you will be adding some outlines on this job. Doesn't look like you had them before.

I have a post somewhere on the forum that shows how to do some pinstripes without doing them by hand. You spray them on. You can get them VERY consistent this way. Plus they are easier to do.
You can do a search and possibly find the post.

Arrowhead

I actually did have an outline on the T bucket flames, but I used the shade shifter color cyan-purple pinstripe tape and it was too dark. I know there are alternate ways of doing the outline, but I kind of wanted that authentic paint brush feel. I experimented w/ a multi mask type tape that I can run around the edges and pull out 1/8" from the center and be left with 1/16" tape on each side. I can mask that off and drag a line w/ the brush.

These are the outlines using the shade shifter pinstrip tape that I buried under clear:

11035075901.jpg

Last edited:

dallas_

Hey Arrowhead, welcome to the forum.
I thought that name and car looked familiar! Is the motor in the '33 from your T-bucket? That thing is sweet.

Flames will look great on the '33. Not sure about the light blue pinstripe on the orange flame, but hey, I'm the last person to ask about color choices.

And TAZ, the truck is looking good!

Arrowhead

Hey Arrowhead, welcome to the forum.
I thought that name and car looked familiar! Is the motor in the '33 from your T-bucket? That thing is sweet.

Flames will look great on the '33. Not sure about the light blue pinstripe on the orange flame, but hey, I'm the last person to ask about color choices.

And TAZ, the truck is looking good!

I love the flipfont end, very unique. I was also thinking of how t odo a flip frontend for the '33, but decided to make hinges so the hood flips up a the firewall.

Yes, I transplanted a 302 into the T bucket before I sold it and used the blower engine for the '33 hot rod.

Yea, i'm not sold on the blue around the orange, I'll fool with that some more.

This one has green around blue.

100_9889.jpg

100_9888.jpg

Arrowhead

I cheated and tried some differetn colors using MS paint - ****y program. But I think i'm liking this combination a little better.

100_2314test2.jpg

Arrowhead

I outlined the flames in paint again, I didn't have any lime green so I mixed up some blue and yellow and it's close enough for now. I'm liking this combination better now.

100_2351.jpg

100_2354.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like they shaded all the 'ovals' off the flames. If they did the complete flame job like that, it would have given the flames a 3D look. Like they were recessed or cut out of the silver.
The pinstripe would be on the high side though.