Small amounts from big cans

D

DaveA

When I need to get just a small amount of base or clear out of any size can, after agitating it (I'm good at that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif) try this:

Take a small paper cup (I buy the small paper ones at the paint store because they're graduated for mixing 3-4 oz- can't remember the name, but they also make the plastic cups w/lids...their motto is "Kick the Can"...and I buy a bunch but for the life of me...oh well) and cut the side out of it about halfway down. Make a 'dipper' out of it, open the can, scoop out what you need, then toss the cup. No muss, no fuss, no bandaids, and the outside lip of the can stays clean and you don't get crap in the paint.

Works for me...cheaper than keeping mixing lids on everything, too, esp. the colors you don't use much.

Hope this helps somebody. New to this board, and love it.

DaveA
Lake Norman NC

Bornhard

I believe you're talking about E-Z Mix paper cups. I use them all the time and love 'em! I always need to mix up small amounts of colors and dry pearls for my airbrushing, so those things are an excellent choice!

Another thing I do is use the stir stick to put some paint into those cups. I load up the stick and then let it pour off the stick into the cup. It puts enough paint into the cup and doesn't take too long to do it.

LudicrousSpeed

I like that idea better than mine!

I usually punch small holes in the lip of the can to let the paint drip back in instead of sitting in the groove to get "smooshed" out by the lid.

What I usually do to pour a new gallon is make a "lip" out of masking tape to help pour it. I usually don't lose any this way.

D

DaveA

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you're talking about E-Z Mix paper cups. I use them all the time and love 'em! I always need to mix up small amounts of colors and dry pearls for my airbrushing, so those things are an excellent choice!

Another thing I do is use the stir stick to put some paint into those cups. I load up the stick and then let it pour off the stick into the cup. It puts enough paint into the cup and doesn't take too long to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, EZ Mix!! Racked my poor brain so hard after posting that, so much so that I went out to the truck and looked to see what I had in there.

.!!ANOTHER TIP!! Just don't forget and set the wet cup down on anything important....like I did once... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DaveA

A

alienboy

I use 30cc and 60cc syringes. Got them from a hospital supply store. Real cheap, reusable, and accurate.

K

kustom paint workz

I LIKE SOME OF THESE IDEAS GOTTA TRY THEM OUT. I WENT TO THE DOLLAR STORE THE OTHER DAY AND FOUND SOME USEFULL STUFF. STAINLESS MEASURING SPOONS. TABLESPOON AND TEASPOON 1 AND 1/2. GREAT FOR SCOOPING OUT SMALL AMOUNTS OF PAINT FOR MIXING AND AIRBRUSHING. STAINLESS SAUCE CUPS FOR MIXING SMALL AMOUNTS OF PAINT AND A LARGE STAINLESS SPOON FOR MIXING LARGER QUANTITIES. GREAT BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS STAINLESS AND EASY TO CLEAN.

T

tcannon

KPW, I got some of that stainless stuff this past summer. Works great, clean up with a paper towel and solvent. Also, go back by the craft stuff and get some popcicle sticks. They got a pack of about 200 for a buck, they work great at paint stirs. TC

S

seedeucer

I don't know if you guys have ever seen these but the little battery powered mixers by Badger for mixing model paint work great for mixing small quantities. It only takes one AA battery and it spins a long spindle with a little mixer on the end. It's just like one of those attachments you put on the end of a drill to mix house paint.

K

kickstand

[ QUOTE ]
I use 30cc and 60cc syringes. Got them from a hospital supply store. Real cheap, reusable, and accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best method I have found as well I had an old
syringe from a ink refill kit for my printer with an end on it like a needle but much larger. It is totally mess free and the measurements are dead on also when your done just pull some cleaner into it with a little air shake and shoot it out and its clean!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek_yello.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

Gadget-SRMC

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who used the syringe method. :) For the larger quantities I have been known to use the wifes turkey baster, and you better believe she doesn't know that. No contamination, no mess, life is sweet!!

hoss

i just poor and drip **** all over, i'd rather loose a little and wipe the can off rather than cleaning something i dipped into the paint. i like painting, not cleaning!! and my work bench has a lot of personality. he he