Should I restart my paint job?

PNS72

Hey all, I decided to have a go at repairing my car roof after the clear coat started pealing and also damaged the paint.

I sanded the entire roof to the original primer and then primed it with Spraymax 2K Rapid Primer Filler, then I started on painting the base-coat the following morning. (Color-match spray cans)

While spraying the 2nd coat I noticed paint droplets and the paint had other imperfections so I stopped, waited for it to dry and then sanded the bad areas back to my primer and everywhere else I scuffed it up with 400 grit sandpaper. I now have 80% of the roof covered with 2 layers of base-coat (scuffed up) and 20% sanded back to the primer.

My question is, at this stage should I sand the whole roof back to the primer and start over or can I continue on with spraying more base-coats over the entire roof considering the paint is new?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You should be fine respraying the basecoat over the base and primer. No problems here.
I don't understand what the 'droplets' would be. Possibly your air pressure was a bit low and the paint was sputtering out?
Put medium wet coats on and spray at the recommended pressure.

PNS72

Thanks Taz for the quick response.

I'm using color-match spray cans for the base-coat and I've seen others complain about the tips occasionally causing the spluttering you mentioned. I'm new to doing this so I'm guessing I should shake the cans for longer than the recommended time on the can. I've also read elsewhere that putting cans in warm water prior to use helps the spray go on more evenly, although I'm not sure about this.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea on that. Possibly the way the nozzle is along with the way the metallic comes out.