Shop temperature?

B

Big-D

Howdy!
I have been trying to clear my Harley tank
over some flames without much success.
my first project cleared great but it was about 75 degrees. now its more like 55 degrees and all I get are runs.
using Diamont products and low temp reducer.
how important is temp and how much time should I allow between coats?
also if I can sand out the runs with some 1500 should I clear agian before buffing?

Rookie painter

T

TAZ

Hello,
Using the correct reduced is very important. It sounds as though since you have a low temp reducer, this is not the problem. Possibly the adjustments (mainly the fluid adjustment) on the gun.

Different reducers require different "tack" times. You can use my tip on when your the clear is ready for the next coat.

TIP: After spraying your first coat, take your finger and touch an area on the tape or masking paper directly next to the clear, now slowly pull your finger off the paper. If you pull your finger off, and the clear appears "stringy", then you need to wait. If you do not pull back any clear, then it is ready for the next coat.
The usual time is about 5 minutes.

As far as the runs go, if the runs are not too bad, and you can sand them out, and you feel you have enough clear on the panel, you can get away without having to reclear the panel. Be sure and use a fairly firm rubber block when sanding the runs out. Don't just sand it with wet-dry paper, you must block them out.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1
T

tooter

if u use bch2 10% it locks up your base to were u can do anything with it as for your shop temp mine is the same i had the same problem with dc88 it flows like water u cant shot like ppg (2042)i still use dianomont base but use ppg clear

T

TAZ

I use the 893 clear with the 884 hardner. This seems to tack up quicker than the 894 clear.

Keep in mind this is the Global line.