Shadows and stuff

O

outlaw17

I just painted a buddies helmet and I cant sem to figure out what I need to do for shadows and stuff to make it look more realistic. As seen in the picture below , I had a checkered stripe over the middle of the helmet and then another goofy design that I did not like so I changed it and I wanted to make it look like the paint was oozing or running over the checkered stripe , and this is what I got but it looks wrong . I was thinking about maybe putting a blue stripe on the sides of where the exisiting checkered stripe is would this be a good idea ? if not , what kind of ideas can anyone give me ?
drewslid.jpg

D

DenB.

LOOKS GOOD SO FAR BUT I'D SUGGEST THAT YOU MAKE YOUR SHADOWS RIGHT UP TO THE EDGES OF THE ORANGE THEN DUST SOME STREAKS OF LIGHTENED BLACK TO GIVE A GRAYISG TONE ALL ALONG THE CHECKER PATTERN TO GIVE A FEEL OF MOVEMENT FORWARD THAT'S MY 2 CENTS.
bigokay.gif
HAVE FUN

DaveK

The helmet looks good and the checkers look clean. I think you just need to lighten up and try not to draw in but lightley fog them in. The only other thing thats kind of a problem, is that you checkers are too straight and clean to get a curve effect. But I think if you fog it in up to the edges and around, it will appear to fall off. This is a flag I painted about a year ago, all in HOK. This is a copy of Craig Frasers work. One of the first peices that I airbrushed. Try a test panel. it helps a lot.

Hope this helps
DaveK
flag.jpg

B

Burton

outlaw17

If it’s a drop shadow you’ll need to but it up against the object that’s on top. In this case your orange / red colors. What you can do is tape off the edges and fog that black in. Try to over reduce the black to make it more transparent. Remember a shadow is not black; it’s the absences of light. What I found is to try to do your tape offs with the last graphic being the bottom one. That way it’s already taped and you don’t have to worry about missing an edge on the tape out. Of cores it’s not always possible to do the bottom graphic last but it a good start and you rely more on the tape then free hand.

O

outlaw17

Thanks a bunch guys , I kinda got frustrated so I cleared it , now I can scuff it and see about fixing it up , I'll post more pics when I do the fixing .
bounce.gif

D

DDG

One more thing, when spraying shadows you must choose a light source. It's hard to tell if you really have one. Look at the flag, the light is coming from the left side, so the shadow is consistantly on the right. Also check out flame jobs with shadows and by looking at them you can definitely see where the light is coming from.
Dirt