SATA Minijet 3000 Nozzle Size Questions

Fast Jimmy

On another thread I sought advice on either a new Sharpe FX1000 or a used SATA Minijet 3000 for small motorcycle parts.

After reviewing the responses I am pretty much persuaded to purchase the used SATA Minijet 3000. However, I do have a few nozzle questions.

This gun has a 1.4 nozzle. After searching SATA's website and some others it seems that the 1.4 is only available in a SR nozzle. If I understand correctly this is a 'wide fan' nozzle that actually has a wider fan than what I am looking for.

So, would the regular nozzle give a smaller fan?

Would a 1.4 in a mini gun be too large for BC/CC? (The local gun & paint supplier said that a 1.0 worked well for BC/CC on a mini but that something larger was needed for primers.)

What would be the best size for BC/CC in a Minijet 3000?

I was unable to find any price on SATA Minijet nozzle sets anywhere. What can I expect to pay for a nozzle set?

Would the 1.4 be a good choice for primers?

If the 1.4 on the gun would work well for BC/CC I suspect that I could buy a cheap mini gun for primers less than or about the same as a SATA nozzle set.

I have looked at the Ingesoll Rand 200G and Harbor Freight 46719 mini guns with the thought of getting one of them for primers.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

FJ

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you plan on buying mini guns for all your painting.
My personal opinion is that at least try the 1.4 tip first and see how you spray with it. It will probably work fine for you. Just adjust the fluid control knob for more or less fluid.
If this doesn't work for you, then go ahead and purchase another setup.
You might be over thinking this a bit. Especially when you are dealing with 'small' parts. I still use a bigger Iwata or SATA for even the small parts.

I don't use the minijet so I'm not for sure on a cost for the nozzle setup

Good idea on buying another gun for priming. Primer tends to really mess up guns and stick to the cup and everything else. So you don't want any primer particles end up coming out of your gun when doing metallics. A 1.4 should also be fine for the primers. I personally use a regular sized SATA gun for priming.

Hope this helps a bit!
:bigokay:

Fast Jimmy

TAZ ;
I picked up the Sata Minijet 3000B Friday and it is indeed ‘super clean’ inside and out.
I also bought one of the HF 46719 for primers.
Not really sure that it need them but I’m going to set the guns and hose up with HV fittings.
Also, I know that they make a HV ‘last chance’ filter that I’m going to try and track down.

This is the current project that I am working on, a 1985 Honda VF1100S (V65 Sabre).
02-OnLiftReadyToStartTeardownLR1.jpg

I’ve pretty much got the rear down as far as I’m going to take it.
FR-LS2.jpg

A PIO (Previous Idiot Owner) let the battery overflow and it did some damage on frame and swing arm that I hope to get around to cleaning those damaged areas up and air brushing them in next week or so.
SWingArmRV.jpg

After I get the rear wheel back on the center stand will come off to get blasted and then I will use the new guns on it, the side stand and a few brackets. Then the front end will come off or rebuilding.

The tank, front fender, side covers and rear cowl are excellent (the bike has almost always been stored inside) and need no refinishing so the guns won’t be used again until I get started on the 1973 Triumph T100R (500 Daytona) that will get a complete frame up.
ShopMates1.jpg

Thanks again for the tips.

FJ

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very clean Honda!!!
That Triumph is going to be sharp bike once you are done!

Glad to hear you are getting your guns squared away
:bigokay: