Sanding progression?

Mulepick

I just finished (Sun) shooting 3 coats of clear (w/dry pearl) on a vehicle. The clear went on about as well as I can do in my garage. I started wet sanding with 1000 this AM but things were going v. slow. There is v. slight orange peel that flattens much easier with 500 grit. Am I going to blow through the clear before I get to 2000 grit?

Tks,

Bob

hoss

you might go through on edges, but flat areas you should be ok w/ the 1000 grit.

after the 1000 go to 1500 then to 2000 then buff.

you might end up w/ some scratches that you got from the 1000 that you didn't quite get out. if you see them sand on em some more then rebuff that area again.

hoss

i wouldn't use 500 grit w/ a clear that i was planning on as my final clear. that's just me. 500 takes off a lot of material and would groove the surface i think. I wouldn't go under 800 if i were going to finish the surface.

if you've used 500 w/o problems then go for it, if you're just wondering if you should-i wouldn't. there might be other opions though.

hoss

if it were just a run, then i would use the 500. tape around the run and concentrate that area down. but a big orange peel area level it off w/ 800-1000 then go up.

T

TAZ

You probably took off quite a bit of clear using the 500. If you have the chance, you may just want to reclear all parts.
Re-spray the clear as 'flat' as possible. Then wetsand with 1500, then go over it with 2000, then buff.

Hate to hear that you 500 grit the part, then 1000, then 1500, then end up going through the clear when you are buffing.
Alot of time wasted.