Sanding Curved Panels

RobS

G'Day, I'm painting a Cobra Body and rubbing it by hand. The body is completely curved...there are no straight panels. What I'm trying to find if there is available a curved rubbing block OR a method to achieve a smooth panel with just a short flat durablock ?

CVoisin

there are some foam type blocks that are a bit more flexible than Durablocks , most important of all is to keep moving and not stay in one spot . A friend has a 66 AC Shelby Cobra and I would not even want to try a car like that myself !

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You can still use a 'file board' to block out round panels. Just be sure and do a 45 degree criss-cross pattern.
Do some filing one way. Then do it the opposite way.
Hope that makes sense.

RobS

Yes it does make sense ...Today I tried a durablock 1-1/4" x 3/4" x 11" block and it seems to flex just enough to follow the curves BUT it needs to be held just right or it lifts in the middle whilst I'm doing the 45 degree rub. I'm going to try the round one as well but it has such a small "footprint" area and requires a rotating action to get some sort of even cutting action from the paper.

CVoisin

If i'm not mistaken they are called " Soft Sanders " by Style-Line , seen them at a paint store I went to out of town a while back

RobS

Thanks. I'm in Australia..I doubt they are available here but It's a start and I'll start looking.

RobS

Thanks for all the replies...I'm looking into all the suggestions. Where I live used to be a great "car" area but time has changed and there are more "home improvement" paint places than there are auto suppliers.