Sand Duplicolor changes look to more metal flake, very obvious different appearance

sdowney717

I cannot sand the Duplicolor PB7 Patriot Blue as when I do it becomes much brighter exposing what I guess is more metal flakes. The blue color unsanded is a very good match to the OEM paint.
I have painted and sanded one spot 5 times with the same result. Sanding with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2500 makes no difference it all looks terrible sanded. It is very smooth but very obvious spot.
Here I sanded, I am not talking of the underlying white OEM primer.
The metal flakes in the Duplicolor paint pops out when sanded. I have tried 2 cans, well shaken, look terrible sanded.

Here is a different spot unsanded. Good appearance match

Is the solution do not color sand?
Or use some other paint? Like whose?
Sandingf the OEM Dodge Ram paint, does not do this, the appearance color stays true

sdowney717

Did some more work on the area and got it looking ok. Basically kept painting more layers on the area letting it flash off, them more paint. Lightly sanded then buffed and it looks pretty good. It was a paint scratch about and inch long 1/4" wide and tiny indentation, which is why when sanding it kept popping up the white primer on each side of the scratch.
There is no clear coat on this spot.
1681077062763.png

chopolds

You don't say if the paint is lacquer, base/clear, single stage Uro, or spray bomb. Totally different systems, that have different answers.

sdowney717

You don't say if the paint is lacquer, base/clear, single stage Uro, or spray bomb. Totally different systems, that have different answers.
Dupli-Color rattle can matching color paint. I was told later not to sand the base coat or polish it as it color shifts.
The OEM base coat is OEM from a Dodge factory.

If I do not sand the Dupi-Color, then it looks fine. So I won't be sanding it.
I do have parts of the hood where the clear is coming off, I suppose I must sand that to remove failing old clear coat. Was hoping to just sand a little them put on some clear coat. The OEM blue base coat is not faded at all. When wet looks like the same color as undamaged paint.

Does failing clear coat stop failing further away when you paint clear coat on the bad spots? (as you sealed the old clear coat edges to new clear coat)
I don't even understand why clear coat randomly fails some places and not others.

Last edited:

chopolds

If you put basecoat on, and it matches, then your paint is pretty dull. Those paints go on dull and need clear to shine. They are NOT made to withstand any weathering, they're porous and will absorb water. If your clear is failing, there is nothing to do about it, to fix it right. Strip it and repaint. Putting fresh clear on top of marginal clear will eventually fail, if not immediately. It certainly won't help clear in an adjacent area.