Run Removal Tip

jimmo

I`ve had my fair share of drips and sags, found many ways to get rid of em but this method has always proven the most effective for me as it doesn`t leave any ghosting of the run behind.

The Run

if you've ever removed one like this you'll know they are quite difficulty to completely eliminate. The picture doesn't really show it that well, you'll get a better idea once the putty is applied, Here it is:​
image.php
image.php
Applying Putty
The theory is that blocking down the putty brings everything down level. Your block wont teeter and you can't really angle it either which reduces the chance of breaking through around the run. Just mix up your favorite polyester putty and apply it like so:​
image.php
As a precaution you can add a bit of tape around it to help prevent scratches outside the putty:​
image.php
Sanding
You are going to want to start with a coarser paper and gradually upgrit until you finish in about a 1500 or finer. Here we used 400 to start on a hard block (must use a block!). You can start to see how the run is gradually going down with the putty:​
image.php
Once the putty is almost removed you should be sanding in about a 1000 grit paper. Here is how we progress:​
image.php
image.php
Once you have removed all of the putty you should switch to a 1500 grit and give it a good blocking, you should have something looking like this once completed:​
image.php
Next all you need to do is grab your favorite polishing system and shine it back up like any other polishing job. If everything went well you should have absolutely no ghosting of the run and it should be gone. Here is how we finished:​
image.php

Here`s also a video of the process:

T

TAZ

Jimmo,
That is one excellent tip. I've been painting for 25 years or so (early 80's) and never seen or heard that. But adding the putty makes perfect since. I've also had my share of runs and should have used this tip. You get your sandpaper 'teetering' like you said, and it seems to sand everything but the run. You end up going through all around the area...and the run remains.

Great Tip! :bigokay:

Thanks for sharing the tip, pics, and video

Last edited:

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Great tip Jimmo, will have to file that in the ole hard drive. Thanks for sharing. Makes perfect sense

satarunner

Hello, very nice to meet you. The Forum is the first time I touch, I hope to know more friends here, and his own eye-opener. Hope to get your help. Thank you very much! ! ! !

satarunner

Hello, very nice to meet you. The Forum is the first time I touch, I hope to know more friends here, and his own eye-opener. Hope to get your help. Thank you very much! ! ! !

asdf22

wow thank you, that will come in handy since Im just starting out im sure I will my share of runs, thanks for the tips big fan of your youtube vids.:freak:

dixiethedog

Great video,to put things in to context. Ive read about the putty method before i think in an old street rodder magazine or similar,but great to see it in action. Top tip,thanks you for sharing.
No pass me my spray gun,lets go get some runs....