Rookie with problems

M

Mongo

Well, thank God I stumbled apon this site. Looks like a wealth of good information here.

I recently performed my first custom flame job and I must say that I'm quite pleased with the results.

Before I started I bought an Iwata HP-CS and I used it to spray pearl highlights to the flame tips. I then sprayed thinner through the gun, then took her apart and cleaned everything again. Now my problem is that after reassembling the gun she sprays thinner as soon as I push down on the trigger. Or after I take it apart and put it back together it blows back through the cup. I've reassembled the gun about a dozen times with the same results. I've soaked the tip in thinner and blew everything out. It's spotless. I suspect an o-ring or something is my problem but I'm stumped.

What am I doin' wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
Thanks!

Bornhard

hummmm, ok...got some tips for you

after you reassembled your airbrush and then push on the trigger w/o pulling it back and fluid is still coming out then you need to losen up your needle nut and gently push the needed further up into the airbrush, so that it's seated firmly in the fluid nozzle & then tighten up the needle nut immediately after and test the trigger again to see if that solved the problem. If it still continues then there's any number of problems with your fluid nozzle or needle. I think what I told you will help.

By "tip" I think you're referring to the fluid nozzle. If that's the case then I need to tell you to not fully unscrew and disassemble often, ONLY when it's critical! The company tightens those nozzle on to keep things pressure just right and that keeps the paint from bubble up or spitting back at you. I ruined an awesome airbrushed skull with that spitting out of the cup [censored]! Take your fluid needle back off and use some putty plumbing thread sealer, or bee's wax on the threads. That should help things seal back up.

gimme an update and let me know how things work out

M

Mongo

Bornhard,

Thanks for the info. After reading your post I now realize just how lucky I was. I had sprayed my flames with a touch up gun and then when I was ready to do the detail work with the airbrush it wouldn't work. So I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together again and it worked like a champ! Is that dumb luck or what!!! At least I was able to finish the paint job before I screwed it up. Whew!

Thanks again for the Tips. I didn't have a clue as to who to turn to. I'm in Venezuela right now but when I get home on the 22nd I'll follow your instructions and give you an update.
Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

M

Mongo

Bornhard,
I followed your instructions and that did the trick. She sprays like a champ now and no more bubbling back through the cup.

Thanks again!

Mark

rex

JB and SW are great,I beleve they know their field like I know mine and these are the 2 I'd come to for answers,any suggestions from someone else I'd have to pass through them.

M

Mongo

Thanks for the help guys. Here's the results of my first stab at custom paint.
First Custom Paint Pics

I airbrushed violet pearl highlights into the flame tips and in the curves but it doesn't show up in the pictures. I really wish I had found this website before I started. Instead I learned a lot the hardway.

Thanks again guys, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mark

Bornhard

something is wrong with your link I believe.

I would like to see how things turned out for you, so check on your link.

As for learning the hard way I think most of us have learned a lot that way.

M

Mongo

Sorry bout that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif
Try her again: Paint

I agree, you learn the hard way the you also learn the hows and whys and then it sticks.

Mark

Bornhard

real good job! cool colors! and my favorite style of flames!

What kind of chopper? any specific brand, or custom built?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

M

Mongo

Thanks bornhard. That made me feel pretty good coming from a guy with your talents! I also airbrushed the tips with violet pearl but they didn't show up in the pics.
Actually when I look at it I see all the things I wish I'd done different but I'm chalking that up to learning.

This bike is built on an Atlas Bigfoot frame with a 96" S&S engine. The work was done by Full Moon Cycle in Lafayette, Louisiana but it just never was right. She was a problem child, elect and alignment problems mostly. The first year that I had her it was ride, break, troubleshoot, fix, ride, break, troubleshoot some more. You get the idea. She's a pretty dependable ride now. So once I was sure she was fixed for good I tore her down and tried my hand at flames.

Someone's sig on here reads something to the affect that flames are more important than life or death. A wise man he is!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif