Rolling a seam?

G

Gunner

What does it mean to roll a seam on a tank? Someone else posted the same question but with no answer.

DG

rex

I have no idea.Guessing they're either smoothing out a weld or taking care of the flange on a metric bike.I never thought about it but I suppose if you hammer the flange over easy it won't stress it bad,the corners would be a ****** though.You could just fill and blend it out but that seems cheezy.Ain't no way I'd want to cut the flange off and weld it up.

D

dabien310

I believe "rolling a seam" on a tank refers to tanks with a flange at the bottom edge of it which is then hammered down/ rolled towards the center of the tank to give it a more streamline appearance when sitting on the frame. THe flange is usually there because manufacturers may use chrome stripping on the edges of it. I have a vstar and I have one. Planning to stretch my tank and roll the seams in.

JOn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif

W

Wolfspirit

Yep, thats what rolling a seam is. Some bend it under carefully with visegrips, some use a hammer and dolly. no matter what you do make sure you seal that tank after your done. Good luck.