Rock Chips....

J

Judge

Well, I had my car flamed. It is a 1998 SVT Contour...they did a sweet job, but I am getting rock chips. They said they used a flex add on the bumper, so what do I do? I have seen the clear (3M stuff) plastic to put over the car. Does it work/still look good? The car gets daily driven, about 100 miles a day but I still want it to stay looking good....

J

JAMMINJ

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I LIVE IN DENVER AND I KNOW ALL ABOUT GRAVEL CHIPS. WHEN IT SNOWS THE TRUCKS START LAYING DOWN PEA GRAVEL LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW. WE CAN PUT A MAN ON THE MOON BUT WE STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET TRACTION IN SNOW WITHOUT THE USE OF ROCKS. I BOUGHT A 2002 LEXUS IS300 IN NOVEMBER AND HAD THE DEALER INSTALL CLEAR BRA ON THE FRONT OF THE HOOD, THE BUMPER, THE DOOR PILLARS, AND THE MIRROR FRONTS. IT WORKS NICE. YOU CAN ONLY SEE IT IF YOU LOOK HARD. MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE IT DONE PAY THE EXTRA MONEY AND HAVE IT DONE RIGHT. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY ORANGE PEEL YOU SHOULD GET RID OF IT, THE BRA WILL INTENSIFY ANY TEXTURE IN THE PAINT. IF YOUR CAR IS WHITE I WOULDN'T DO IT, THE PLASTIC WILL EVENTUALLY TURN YELLOW AND LOOK AWEFUL.

J

Judge

The car is silver with blue flames like this
9699476-5652-028001E0-.jpg

I have the grill installed now.....but anyway, the painter is contacting their supplier to find out if something was done wrong, or I might just have to install the clear bra....

T

TAZ

If you spray alot of base color at one time, then you do not allow the proper time for the base to dry before clearing, you will find the paint will chip very easy.
This is because you have a hardened clear with a soft base underneath it so it makes the job very brittle.

Don't know if this is the problem in your particular case.