removing graphics

hd98rk

Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this question but here goes.....I have a 1998 Harley Roadking that the previous owner had feathers hand painted on the tank and side covers. I'd like to know how to remove these without ruining the paint,I don't care if I have to reshoot the clear although it'd be nice if I didn't have to. Can anyone give me some tips here? If you look at the pic,you'll see the feathers on the tank and some other graphics on the botton of the fender.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Can you tell us if the graphics are over top of the clear or under it. Also do you know if it is one shot paint. Once we know that we can go from there.

T

TAZ

Sounds like the striping might be 'over' the clear (just a guess).
If so, a couple factors go into deciding...

That appears to be factory paint, and if it is, you can 'try' to use just plain lacquer thinner. I've done this and it has worked before, but you have to be carefull. If it's over non-factory paint, then you 'might' have a problem.
Using the lacquer tip also depends on how long the striping has been on there. If it's been more than let's say a year or so, this probably won't work.

If the pinstripe is fairly 'thin', you might want to try a piece of 1500 or 2000 grit and wetsand if off. Of course you'll need to buff it or have it buffed to bring the gloss back.
BUT, if the pinstripe is thick and you try the 1500 or 2000, then you may end up going through the clear base, before you even get the pinstriping off.

Either way, it's pretty risky, so be sure and have somesort of backup, meaning, you have the ability to paint it or have it painted.

If the pinstriping is under the clear, then of course, you'll need to repaint it.

If you are unsure...
If you take lacquer thinner over the stripes or you do the wetsand method, and the rag turns the pinstripe colors, then of course it's not cleared over

mituan

Thanks Taz, What I would like to know is the paint like the HOK the right stuff to use or is there something else a beginner airbrush artist should use...