Realistic learning curve?

B

bigwaylon

I'm new here, and I am new to painting. I plan to use the search feature for as much as I can, as not to agitate anyone with redundant questions, but I do want to ask what is a realistic time period for a newby to learn painting well enough to do a respectable paint job? I understand there are many factors, but lets say they are a moderate to fast learner, stickler for detail, and use the info in this site to guide them, and I am talking about just being able to spray well, not able to do any intricate detail, or custom tricks.

Any input will be appreciated!

bigwaylon

rex

It's really hard to say considering you're getting no hands on next to someone and there are confusing posts because everyone does it different.The biggest thing is pulling the trigger,which only comes with practice and won't be hard to learn if you're mechanically inclined.Learning the paint itself can be a lengthy process too but you can grab a bunch of basics out of old posts,then just read the directions (I know,we're men and only do that after a screwup).It could happen in a few months or a few years.If you can play with some of the cheaper paints often it'll get you started,just don't get irate over a screwup because you'll have them.And by all means,remember clean-your hands and not being stingy with grease and wax remover on the parts.Welcome aboard too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

Bornhard

Welcome to the World of custom painting! Rex is pretty much accurate with what he said & I just wanted to add a few things.

First: When I got into custom painting I had a graphic arts background, but knew nothing about automotive paints. I went to a local auto-paint supply store and started to ask questions. Most are willing to help you out and hopefully you come across one that is knowledgeable with their product. I also read all I could, so I would have some idea if the paint rep was giving me accurate info. If there are a couple local paint stores, go to them all and familiarize yourself with different brands. You may find one easier for you to get use to etc.

Second: Purchase some Jon Kozmoski, Craig Fraiser, Vince Goodeve etc. videos if possible. They go into some good details & have good tips about painting. One main thing I got from the videos I purchased was actually being able to see the process of painting. Kozmoski is pretty thorough in his videos & my recommendation on common painting techniques. Fraiser shows you a lot of different custom techniques and Goodeve is just awesome to watch airbrush.

Third: Rex said this…. start out with the low end of a paint line you select. Dupont’s Nason brand was what I started out with and it did well for me. As I improved in my skills I moved on to House Of Kolor & Valspar auto paints.

I’ve been spraying auto paints for 2 years now and it’s been one hell of a learning process. You learn something new all the time in this field and the industry does change (from what I hear….still too new to experience a major change in auto paints).

When you get involved in something you tend to come across people with the same interest and learn from each other. I met Rex ‘cause he’s in my area and he’s taught me a lot about painting so far, not sure I’ve showed him anything new yet.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekout.gif

B

bigwaylon

Thanks a million for your replies!!! I have a million questions, and I want to know it all yesterday, as I am sure all newbies are, so I appreciate any input I can get. Thanks for the video reccommendations, I will be sure to do a search and find where to buy them ASAP. I am currently searching for threads on the most cost effective paint gun for someone just starting. I am a professional musician, so I always tell folks "you get what you pay for" when it comes to guitar purchases. I do realize that I live off what that thing makes me, but there are many great choices for 1/10th the price of my $3,000 acoustic, not to mentions a 59 strat worth $10,000. If anyone could reccommend a good, inexpensive gun for doing small jobs that is forgiving to a novice, I would appreciate it. I am just nervous about spending money that is hard for me to come by for a paint gun, when I have never sprayed one before. I am pretty confident I have the apptitude to learn the craft, as I am a obsessive compulsive perfectionist(yea, I'll get some damn Valium for my nerves, or at least some cold beer!LOL!), and I have a high attention for detail. But I know that my skills will not be up for painting for hire anytime soon, so justifying the high-dollar gun will take a little while.

Thanks,

Greg

rex

Beer,yes,I like you already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bounce.gifActually a good name brand gun to start with is the DeVilbiss Finishline 3,it's an all metal version of the plastic model 2.Everyone says it's a nice all around gun and it can be had for about a buck and a half.There's lots of off brands for 100 or less but they usually are pure junk and fall apart fast.Top name guns are Devilbiss,Sata,Iwata,Binks,Sharpe and I hear good about the Sagola's and Walcom's.I prefer Devilbiss and Iwata,I never liked the feel of a Sharpe and I think Binks has been grandfathered in from being on top before the newer paints came out over the last decade+.Satas are very popular but it seems everyone I know has to screw with them and the finish isn't that great but I haven't used one but once.I have no idea about Walcom but Sagola is praised by a few I know.I do know Sata and Sagola aren't cheap to rebuild and it can take time to get parts.To me the DeVilbiss is fairly cheap and available for parts and they have some good lower priced guns that will work as a general purpose gun.This might get some flak but it's just my point of view.

Joe,I did learn something from you,what a clean airbrush job is.Alot of the guys around here are full of 'fluff' as you know.When you're acused of your work being a cleared in decal that's a serious compliment!

Bornhard

I can suggest a cheaper spray gun that will get you through your learning stage and maybe a bit further. When I got into auto painting I was in Lowe's and saw some Porter Cable spray guns. A large one is $100-$120. The mini one is $50. They spray great and I still have a couple of them functioning rather well. The seal on the spray cap goes out fast, but putting some teflon on the threads works for me.

Eventually I got a couple Devilbiss and had a Sata from my early days for clear, but liked how the Devilbiss sprayed over all better, so I use my Sata for priming now. It layes down some smooth primer for a $450 spray gun!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sunglass.gif
Those cheap spray guns you find in the auto paint stores are crappier than the Porter Cable sprayers.

You can spend more now and have something that will get you through your learning and beyond, or start out with something cheap, see if you really want to paint and then get better equipment as your skills get better.

Thanks Rex! Funny thing is, I just recently was commissioned to do some pin ups for a motorcycle decal company. Now I'm really gonna hear the decal remarks at shows! The first one is my devil girl, but totally repainting a new one & it's looking good!

M

mojoz

Welcome as was mentioned Jon Kozmoski, Craig Fraiser, Vince Goodeve etc. videos will be invaluable you can watch 50 times pull one out year later see something you missed last time. IMO a cheap gun is just that a cheap gun you think you want to get into painting put up the money for nice equipment as it will increase learning curve you will be more satisfied with results which will keep you more interested IMO The new IWATA LPH 400lv is pure sugar yet to have a bad result with it though your looking at about 350 +or-25 bucks they also put out a 300 which will be my next gone I use a walcom touch up gun which works nice for about 125 bucks along with Rex's & Bon's post i would add as you practice try some not advised things like using different products so you see first hand what rules you can break & what horriffic catrophies can happen while you are practicing also go to some local repair shops see if they have any old parts you could purchase to practice on they will probably give them to you but always good to offer money. Nice instruments I got an Ibanez 59er which Gibson sued them for worth 10,000 grand+ to instruments is where I started my painting good luck & enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif