Re-painting factory plastic front bumper weak paint

Level49

I have a daily driven 2015 black camaro with factory paint that isn’t very durable. All leading panel and edges have what looks like white pepper. The paint surface doesn’t feel compromised but you cannot buff it away. This generation of camaro is notorious for less than durable paint and it shows the worse on black paint. I’m not sure if it’s the clear or color that is causing the peppering.

I plan to gray pad sand, black urethane prime, sand, color and urethane clear . I also need to fill in some deep chips that had gone through the top layer of clear/paint but not the primer or plastic.

Does anyone have any advice for my approach to this project? I want the the paint to be as strong as possible but still remain flexible.
Thanks,

chopolds

Don't fill the chips. Sand it until the chips are feathered out, or take off all the paint (for best results). The thicker the paint, the more likely it will chip again.

Level49

Don't fill the chips. Sand it until the chips are feathered out, or take off all the paint (for best results). The thicker the paint, the more likely it will chip again.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. if I sand down to plastic (by accident) what would be the proper way to seal it? This happened to me before and for the life of me, I couldn’t fix it, it was so porous. I could never “seal” it for paint. Lucky for me it was out of sight.

chopolds

They make 'flexible' bumper paint, in spray cans. Works for me, though dry time is long, and it does tend to be a bit gummy when sanding.