Questions about my "Plus" gun

LudicrousSpeed

Questions about my \"Plus\" gun

I am getting ready to use my Devilbiss Plus gun for the first time, and have a few questions.

First, I now see that I am going to have to fab something to hold the gun while I fill it, unlike my siphon gun! I am sure they sell something, but is there something I can make on short notice to hold the gun and filter??

The directions talked about choking back the fluid till there was just a spot and then turning the fluid up till it shoots as desired, I belive was the wording. I always just screw the needle in until I feel it start to push the trigger back. Is this correct? If not how should I set it (air and fluid adj.?)

Also, do any of you use the liner system, or is it a waste of time?

Any major differences in use between the gravity feed and the siphon I should be aware of?

Lots of nOOb stuff, I know........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif
Thanks!

rex

Re: Questions about my \"Plus\" gun

I can't believe it didn't come with the holder,that's weird.I made one out of some heavy wire laying around.All you need is something to cradle the cup and something poking out the bottom to hold the handle back so the cup sits level.Wood would be easy for a quicky.I don't use the liner system because I now have the 3M cup system but it works good if you want to save thinner on cleanup or paint upside down.Good 2mil sandwich bags work fine for replacemants but the nipples are the problem,you can't buy them only from what I've seen and you can only clean them a few times before they get ruined.

What tip are you using and what are you spraying?I run clear through a 1.3 tip and have my fluid set almost wide open,with the trigger bottomed against the frame I have the fluid turned in so the trigger is about 1/16" from hitting the frame.With a 1.4 I'd try that but you'll probably need to choke it down a little more.Haven't used mine for base but I would think you'd need to choke it down a turn or so more than clear.There's a few posts way back about the droplet test for adjusting the gun and it works great,if I can get time I'd like to repost it in the tips section along with the epoxy post I haven't had time to do.You're gonna love that gun.

T

tcannon

LS, I made a holder out of one of those heavy (1/8") wire coat hangers. A local paint supply store sells a stand for about $14. I was going to buy one but my homemade job works so well I haven't. TC

LudicrousSpeed

I would guess that it has the 1.3 tip in it, since I have the 1.4 and 1.2 tips here (the gun is at my parent's).

Is 1.3 ok for color, (chromabase) or should I change it? I wouldn't even shoot color through it, but my other gun has been acting kinda crappy lately......

The gun did come with a hook, I ended up screwing it to the workbench and I will come up with something to hold a filter for straining......

Thanks!!!!!!

rex

Ok,you got the hanger.I always held the strainer in one hand and poured paint with teh other.The gun will cock a little but that's good because you really don't want to fill it to the top,what a friggin mess that makes when you push the top on and it pukes out the vent hole.There is a hanger made to hold the gun with a loop for a strainer but it's pricey,I'm sure you can make one cheaper.The 1.3 tip is fine for base,but if you get some of those odd sprayers like Ford's code CX charcoal the 1.2 will reduce the mottling problem.Just clean it out good and dump in the clear.If you're going to use a fast clear that just won't lay down enough before it locks up the 1.2 will help but it'll slow down your pass speed quite a bit,great for scooter parts but I wouldn't want it for more than 2 panels on a car.I don't get the 1.4 tip,I tried it but thought it was a little big for most work.It's ok with slow clear but still a little large.The only thing I could see using it for is primer or maybe HOK clear but I sure as hell aren't about to run primer through this gun unless I was rich and had a few of them.

LudicrousSpeed

Well, I shot the car today, I used the 1.3 tip on all of it. It shoots really nice, not as big of a pattern as I expected, though.

What surprised me was how slow I had to move while putting on the clear! I don't have the best paint booth in the world and the lighting, while sufficient, does not shine where I really need it. After the first pass of clear, I noticed it was really dry! After that, I went REALLLLYY slow to make sure I got good flowout.

The car came out pretty good, considering that the air was so damp, I couldn't get the garage floor dry. That was great for keeping dust down, but I had to keep wiping the hoses for the gun and fresh air down.

I like the gun, it shoots great and is easy to use, I will have to see whether it was worth the extra $150 over my old sharpe, though.......

Thanks for all the advice, it helped a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

rex

Hmm,what clear did you use?Sounds like it was pretty thick to go really slow.Probably why the patten was narrow too.Might want to try the 1.4 in it.I use PPGs 2042,2021 and 2002 and cover a foot or more /second on pass speed.

LudicrousSpeed

It was Chromabase 7500. I adjusted teh pattern to as big as I could get it.

I went out there today and it flowed out really well, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

rex

I don't know the current version of 7500 but when I used it in it's infancy it was about the same as today's low solids clears.What are you running for pressure?Anything under 40 is too low and I run anywhere from 42-50 depending.If you're pressure's in range try the 1.4 tip.This gun is t!ts by anyone I know for clear and it's the only thing I'll use.I came from the old school hose it days and the longer I do this and watch products change (except HOK) the more it seems I have to go to smaller tips and modify my technique to make this stuff work.I'm still not convinced HVLP is the way to go,I think the Plus is a much better gun than a choked down HVLP.

LudicrousSpeed

I was running 40-45 psi, so the 1.4 may be in order. Like I said, it flowed out really nice, I sanded the fenders with 1500 and 2k grit, w/o much work. Hopefully the roof turns out the same way. There was some dryspray on the sail panels, but I wasn't concerned, since that was where I planned to blend the clear when I finish the flames.

The clear is pretty high build, reduced Four parts clear to one part reducer/activator. Two coats is usually enough to bury a tape edge, I normally put three, but lately only been using two. We shall see how it goes with this flame job I am attempting.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

rex

Sounds like they might have thickened it up for the voc crap.I remember back then it was thick compared to the clears of the day but nothing like the stuff now.Try the 1.4,it should speed you back up some but it may not be back to what you're used to with the Sharpe.I could never get the feel for them but the 2 I had were way ahead of their time.I don't like doing it but if you end up with that last pass not eating in all the way try misting some blending solvent over it,even if it does 'haze' it's easier to buff than having to sand the dry spray out or just cut the hell out of it with the compound.

I just thought of something,is the 7800 still around?It was a little thicker but it seemed to stay wet alot longer for flow.I liked the 7500 better myself but back then I was using an MBC with a monster tip.I've never been much on paints I couldn't add reducer to,it always limited my dry time by being stuck with a certain hardner/reducer more than being able to add reducer and whatever I wanted for reducer.I still miss PPG's temp specific hardner along with adding reducer,that gave you 2 ways to control flash and dry times.I think that was a mistake on their part.