Question on painting

Ricks2524

I'm planning on painting my motorcycle apple red with a pearl white panels. I plan to use a white base color under the entire project. Do I add the red pearl with the clear and spray the entire tank or do each panel separate ? I attached a picture of a paint job similar to what I hoping for.

Attachments

• 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on painting candy red over a white, this will just give you a brighter solid red color. You may just want to just go with a solid red to begin with.
This will be much easier to paint to.
I would suggest spraying the white, then the pearl, mask up the areas that are to remain white pearl, then spray the areas red.

Ricks2524

Thanks Taz, Are you saying to use a solid red instead of candy apple? Or a solid red base under the candy?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you take a white base and spray candy red over it, you'll end up with a brighter red.
You may just want to use a solid red basecoat (by itself), like House of Kolor Blue Blood (Red). I think it's SG-105.

Spraying a solid red will be less hassle than doing a tri-stage and just about achieving the same result.

JT Airbrush

Usually you spray a metallic silver or metallic gold under candy paint. If you spray white under candy red, you may end up with a pinkish hue to the candy. Metallic gold under candy red will give it a deeper, richer red color than metallic silver.