Question on HVLP CFM rating

GKG-MO

Hi, I've been lurking for a couple days now and learned alot!
Im looking to get a new gun for my bike project and had some questions. Right now I have a Binks model 7 and a Devilbiss JGA. Both are pretty banged up and ready to be religated to primer guns. I 'm looking to switch to HVLP since I sprayed with a buddy's HVLP gun and loved the way it sprayed. His was just the purple HF gun I hear some of you talking about.
My question is if the gun is rated at say 9 CFM at the input pressure, say around 30 psi, and my compressor is rated for 11 CFM at 40m psi the compressor should handle the gun, Right? My friend seems to think it won't, but I'm not going for the air hog HF gun I want something a little nicer. I was thinking about a Sharp FX3000. Any thoughts on that particular gun? I only do about 6 jobs a year but I don't want to be waiting on the compressor while I'm painting.

Thanks in advance. Tim

grichardson152

As long as your compresser can keep 40psi constant and not drop below 30psi, you should be fine. I've been painting for going on 20 years now and consider myself pretty good and have just about used every gun out there. You can see a couple pic's of a bike I just did for a friend in the photo gallery. Sharp guns (all of them) are pretty good guns, I used them before switching to SATA and still have a few for back ups, I was never disappointed them. I believe it will do the job your looking for it to do.

Hope this helps a little

GKG-MO

Thanks, I picked up a Emglo model L compressor from my uncle the other day. Turns out it was just sitting in his garage so he gave it to me. According to the information I found on it it puts out 21 CFM! Not bad! I just found a 60 gal upright tank on CL today for $80 that the guy just had powdercoated. If I can get that I'll be in good shape.

I think I'm gonna go with the Sharpe FX3000.

perfectcolor

That's so nice.. I have tried using Emglo compressor before and I'm impressed by it.. I'm glad it works fine for you too..

Thanks, I picked up a Emglo model L compressor from my uncle the other day. Turns out it was just sitting in his garage so he gave it to me. According to the information I found on it it puts out 21 CFM! Not bad! I just found a 60 gal upright tank on CL today for $80 that the guy just had powdercoated. If I can get that I'll be in good shape.

I think I'm gonna go with the Sharpe FX3000.