Question for Scott?

M

Motornoggin

I noticed somewhere you mentioned removing the cleared over factory decals from a Kawasaki motorcycle tank. How do you do this without killing the paint? I like the idea of painting over good condition factory paint, but I usually just have to strip the whole tank down to metal. Thanks for any info!
wink.gif

T

TAZ

Whether you are painting over a factory motorcycle or an auto job, this is the way to go. Any more paint than this, then you should probably strip it back down.

But back to your question, if you have pinstripes or decals or pinstripes below the clear, these areas should be stripped down to metal and primed with epoxy primer, then blocked. I removed the decals from the Kawasaki, but I did end up having to strip it down as with any decal or pinstripe below the clear.

The trick is in the feathering of the paint. Make sure it is nice and subtle. On some tanks, by the time you strip off the decals and or pinstripes, the complete side of the tank is stripped. Sometimes it is just as easy stripping the complete sides!

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Scott F ]

M

Motornoggin

Okie Dokie. I understand what you did now. Thats about what I thought, but you never know. I agree with your point that it is better if possible to go over factory paint. Thanks for your info!
wink.gif