Question about quantity of paint

rosebudcassidy

So I bought some hard saddle bags for my 2006 Road King (came off a 2001 Electra Glide) and am trying to figure out how much paint to buy to paint them - will be getting primer as a base coat. It's brandywine sunglo (so tri layer) it's a 1:1 with the reducer. In your experience would a pint be enough for a spray out (to check color) and a couple passes on the bags. Will be shooting with a HVLP gun, one supplier says a pint will do half a fully faired bike, but since this is my first foray into paint wanted to see what you guys thought.

Appears it would be cheaper to have a local bodyshop do the work, but want to learn to paint and figured two saddle bags would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance. Any other advice you have is welcomed as well!!!

Here are some pics of the bags in for reference purposes. http://flhrsi.duffeyclan.com/index.php/2016/03/19/just-need-paint/

chopolds

I would not be comfortable buying a pint to do the bags. At least with the mid coats. The base, if very opaque, should be fine. You'd be surprised how much candy coat (the mid coat) you need to get full even coverage, and then bring it to the point where you're happy with the color. I'd go a full quart, just in case.