purple true fire

'03 zx6r

lol. feels like im the only one posting in this section.

so, i finally think its time to paint my bike. i was thinking black with purple true fire and then purple flake over it. not too sure on the flake yet. but i was wondering if oyu guys had any tips or perferences on the paint or on how to do it. thanks so much in advance....

hoss

if you're going to do flake, i'd put it down first then flame over that. it'll add more depth and not take away from the depth of your true fire.

as for purple, i'd get white basecoat, sg100 and purple Kandi Konsentrate. if you have candi apple red and cobalt blue, you can mix those up as well for your purple, but make sure it's kandi konsentrate mixed w/ sg100 as a carrier.

spray your flames in white and hit them w/ the purple kandi/sg100 mixture, then go over some hot spots in white and hit the thing again w/ the purple kandi/sg100 mixture. you can even freehand airbrush w/ the kandi mixture and deepen more spots.

good luck

'03 zx6r

thanks a lot hoss. i appreciate it. im going to try that since i hace kandy laying around and itll be my first attempt at true fire. :haha:

how about that kit from kustom shop?? any opinions?

hoss

not familiar w/ the kit. I look it up, but some of the kits, the ones w/ the base coar/reducer already mixed for ya, i don't like. not only will the paint go bad faster when it's mixed, i like to mix my own ratio bc/reducer for different applications.

i just stick w/ sg100 and Kandi Koncentrates. you can mix those w/ other base coats if you like.

'03 zx6r

ya, your right, they mix the reducer already. i have one right down the street from me. not bad for a solid bc i think. thanks a lot for the info.

hoss

that seems like a lot of stuff, and w/ just medium reducer will kinda limit ya if you're not painting in a controlled environment.

here's what i do. i have my basecoats that i get from napa (crossfire) then i order some sg100 med/slow/fast reducers and pagen gold KK, candi apple red KK, and oriental blue KK. i mix those primary colors into just about any kandi koncentrate i want w/ the sg100 as the carrier. i try to keep my hok stuff stocked, but it's hard for the basecoat because Hok is so far away from me, so i mix it w/ what i can get around here. it works great, and holds up just as well. also those Kandi Koncentrates that i stated above have less of a tendency to bleed into the next layer of paint. Cobalt blue and brandi kandi wine really bleed into top layers of color that you use.

good luck and post some pics when your completed!

'03 zx6r

cool. thanks for the advice. i think im might start doing what your doing.

how much does it cost to get everything. i mean, because i paint streetbike and many are just one solid color, basic, red, blue or black. any advice on want i should be to mix myself? i just go down the street and get kustom shops "premix" paint.

and whats the difference if i would go with the kit, in the way it uses four or five color to the kandy version??? thanks so much

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
have a look at www.innate.com he has all you will need. Hoss is correct in the paint sequence, But lay out your fire in white pearl then use your purple candies. Do it that way you'll get different color values of the purple,think it will look pretty cool. Lets us how how you make out on your project,and show us what you've done.

hoss

pearl would give a nice effect, but it spits a little and spreads the pearl where you might not want it. still look cool though.

i think the kandi koncentrates are around 20-30 bux for the little pint container. you mix it about 5:1 5 parts sg100 (or any intercoat clear) and 1 part KK.

i usually go to www.hokpaint.com to get my house of color stuff, but there is a lot of other places to get it.

'03 zx6r

cool, thanks for the advice. the place down the street is tcpglobal ill get hok from now on. but is there a difference? since they mix it there, well the colors not the koncetrates.

ill go tinker with the pearl since i have some laying around also. thing is thought, i have the master g44, with that little .2 needle. lets see if it sprays right.lol

ill take pictures right in a little when i attempt my first true fire. thanks a lot guys.

hoss

Kandi Koncentrates are toners that you can buy there. you can mix them w/ just about anything, and the basecoats are what they'll mix for you. all you'll need to mix up is some reducer to the sg100 and the basecoat and add your kandi koncentrates to your basecoats or intercoat clears.

your lucky you've got that tcbglobal there, and good luck w/ that .2 tip and pearl.

hope this answered your questions??

hoss

one more thing. here is the difference between the Kandi Koncentrates and the regular premixed kandis.

Kandi concentrates are made to add to clear basecoats (sg100) this is used so you can layer the paints w/o reactions (hopefully??) and then clearcoat.

if you use the urethane kandi (UK) then you can't really layer the kandis w/o krinkling up and reactions occuring. when you add a basecoat a urethane (then basecoat again before that urethane cures) and another urethane. krinkle krinkle!!

kk is faster and more user friendly for art work than UK.

good luck!

'03 zx6r

hey, i dont want to start a new thread, but would i be safe if i used rattle can primer under uros? my 1.8 gun just crapped on me. while on the subject, anyone recommend a good cheap gun. 1.4 and a 1.8

T

TAZ

hey, i dont want to start a new thread, but would i be safe if i used rattle can primer under uros? my 1.8 gun just crapped on me. while on the subject, anyone recommend a good cheap gun. 1.4 and a 1.8

Good question...probably should start another thread though so the 'subject' line stand out more.