practice panels ? suggestions recommendations?

gtc73

I thought this topic might fall under tools of the trade to be used for practice panels?

So, sometimes paper, card stock, and multiple other surfaces just don't cut it when we are trying to duplicate a look or feel before doing the real thing.

I read a thread that suggested using sheet metal...more specificaly 4x8 sheet of aluminum which is painted white one side and black on the other and have the sheet cut into multiple panels (sized as you need them) for like $60.00 ex. (20) 12" x 18" panels and (2) 6" x 24" panels. OH...i should give props to "Grafx" Scott over on airbrush.com for this info.

The shop he contacted here in massachusetts is Supplies unlimited ( jackie@suppliesunlim.com )

This is .040 aluminum stock used for sign making.

I wanted to check in with you folks to see what other suggestions we might use. Whereas I am in the planning stages for this years bike tins paint job I want to be practicing on metal to get that real feel.

or.....can I just walk into home depot?? and find some other type of material that would work just as well?
thanks for your input!
g

T

TAZ

You can pretty much go to any local sheetmetal fabricator and they should be able to help you out. We have one locally that we go and pick up some scraps. He just gives them to us since they are useless to him. Most of these are less than 2' x 2'.
The scraps we get are galvanized, so you have to sand them real good and prime before painting.
:bigokay:

hoss

when i practice it has to be meaningful. i mean if i just put some stuff on a piece of metal for practice sake, then there is no way i can put in the concentration that i need for the pannel, but if i get some canvas or mail boxes or something that i could possibly sell. well, then i can put more effort into the peice even if it's just practice. so just go out and find some cool things that you can add your touch to and go from there. most of the time you can find the stuff for free, and it's a curved surface which could represent some motorcycle tins or something.

gtc73

thanks guys. I've seen the things people have been working on...like office trash cans, and wall plate switches etc. so I get your meaning. I also need to be practicing my fine line taping on something heavy enough not to move around. I need to figure out a way to secure things that tend to move while applying the tape.

rob smith

Go to the wreckers and buy rusted car doors or ones with bent window frames...grind the folded edge off and peel the door skin off. Trim the rusty bit off the bottom and bingo you've got a decent surface with a bit of contour as well.