Ppg q?

LukeJ

HI guys. I have q about PPG DMD toners. I know that to get DBU base coat you mix DMD toner with DBX 695 balancig clear at 1:1. What about DBC wich i want to use? I know that for airbrush 4 digit toners like DMD 1683 for example can be just reduced and spray but if i want make true DBC basecoat what should i use? I know ican use DBC500 which is like SG100 in hok but when they mix DBC basecoat at the store they use something else.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I use PPG DBC and use no special reducer. In fact, I've use HOK reducer in it with no problems.

LukeJ

I think you got my q wron because i was not asking about reducer. I was asking what balancing clear should i use with DMD toners to make DBC like DBX 695 for DBU.

LukeJ

I know i can use DBC 500 but there is somethig else if you ad DBX 695 it will be DBU what should i ad to make it in to DBC?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, okay, I buy my paints by code, so they are already mixed. So not for sure on the answer for your question.

Wydir

there is also a basecoat converter called DBX1689 this is used to convert the 600 series toners to base use them in equal parts so 1 part 600 series toner the 1 part DBX1689. Hope that helped

LukeJ

Wydir thanks for replay, you are right DBX1689 should be used. On other forum someone from PPG told me that DBC500 can be used because it is blend of 60% DBX1689 and 40% DMD649. Just thought i throw that in maybe it will help someone else. Thanks!

Wydir

Well I cant say that wether that is correct or not, But formulas with just the 1600 series toners use DBC500 as a blender and Formulas with 600 series toners always call for DBX1689 never DBC500. But that would be great if you could swap them would be much cheaper. But the end finish with the DBX/DMD649 will be a Base finish (Matte) and the DBC500 will be like a Clearcoat. This is why I cant say if its correct or not.