PPG Paint question

WildDuke

Guys, I know that PPG pains have candy colours such as their candy apple red color, but I was wondering if they sell pigment colors like HOK does?

I ask my PPG supplier and her said no. He told me that to get candy colors all I need to do is mix basic colors with clear base paint and it becomes a candy. I dont think thats correct. Am I wrong?

T

TAZ

I used to think that to, but that is incorrect. Candies are made of 'dyes' which are not your normal toners. My suggestion would be to use the HOK KK candies with your PPG base coar. You could still use HOK SG-100 since this is also a base clear, but I guess if you mixed it with the PPG, you could call it a PPG.

WildDuke

Do you know if the HOC dyes (candies) are flamable liquids? And another question, do you think Candies are similar to dyes that are used by the indonesians to make Batik?

T

TAZ

I believe all paints are flammable.
Really haven't checked it out. It may say on the label.

Not for sure on what type of 'dye' they use.

Austin

The PPG radience candies are dyes as well. They have base colors under them just like HOK.
austin

air_painter

The PPG along with the Omni line has tinting pigments for the DBC-500 clear base coat. Here is a set I did with PPG.

Steven

tins7.JPG

tins8.JPG

tins5.JPG

tins3.JPG

Skeletoil

Saving money with HOK

If your in it for the long run you have to stay with one system. There are enough colors and thier systems to kill a wallet quick. I tried Createx and Autoair, I think Autoair is made by Createx, they took forever to dry. Then I saw where you have to heat set each color. They were 3 times the thickness of HOK to achieve full color. With 20 colors on a helmet, it's easy to do, would you rather step back and slug down some suds for 15 minutes or stand there with a heat gun. It's been 85 to 95 degrees here.
Not to mislead people but I ran out of laquer thinner that I could paint with so I used PPG's 870 reducer with HD's laquer paint on a test panel and 1 hour later no reactions. This is not recommended by any means. But it worked.
My point is that you buy PPG for one job, Dupount for another I had stuff left over from other jobs and what are you gonna do with them. I'm new to airbrushing and have spent $1500. on custom paint, airbrushes and airbrush paints. Since I went with HOK, I don't even get to down a half beer and HOK airbrush colors are dry. I can lay a half dozen colors in an evening now. Most of my time is masking, unmasking and cleaning out my brush. The lifting problem with other airbrush paints are gone.
I'll still use the Createx and Autoair but I'm know we're gonna need mo suds. later...

WildDuke

If your in it for the long run you have to stay with one system. There are enough colors and thier systems to kill a wallet quick. I tried Createx and Autoair, I think Autoair is made by Createx, they took forever to dry. Then I saw where you have to heat set each color. They were 3 times the thickness of HOK to achieve full color. With 20 colors on a helmet, it's easy to do, would you rather step back and slug down some suds for 15 minutes or stand there with a heat gun. It's been 85 to 95 degrees here.
Not to mislead people but I ran out of laquer thinner that I could paint with so I used PPG's 870 reducer with HD's laquer paint on a test panel and 1 hour later no reactions. This is not recommended by any means. But it worked.
My point is that you buy PPG for one job, Dupount for another I had stuff left over from other jobs and what are you gonna do with them. I'm new to airbrushing and have spent $1500. on custom paint, airbrushes and airbrush paints. Since I went with HOK, I don't even get to down a half beer and HOK airbrush colors are dry. I can lay a half dozen colors in an evening now. Most of my time is masking, unmasking and cleaning out my brush. The lifting problem with other airbrush paints are gone.
I'll still use the Createx and Autoair but I'm know we're gonna need mo suds. later...

Appreciate the comments ... Cheers!!